Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 509

1 members and 508 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: Maternal Incubation

Quote Originally Posted by K-Geo View Post
    I had no clue my bp was going to lay eggs.. how can i up her humidity with out disturbing her? She is on the lower of two levels. The enclosure has a screen face.. ive added an extra water dish under the heat lamp in the Next Room she is laid her on the bedding above the heating pad but I can't keep the humidity hi... what do i do?? Its mine and her first time
    I would start by using cardboard to block and tape off the area of the screen...assuming you have the typical glass terrarium thing going on. Cover about 90% of the screens area, allowing some area for air to go in and out. Don't cover it all the way.

Next, try adding another source of water in the cage, i.e a bigger water bowl, another bowl of water, or some moisture releasing substance like moss or perlite/vermiculite.

And if you don't have one already, get a humidity gauge.

Thanks
    I recently let a 4500gram monster mama maternally incubated her 17 eggs in a 40gallon breeder - i now got 14 hatchlings with almost all em out of their 1st shed

i used cling wrap not cardboard, scotched tape it down to cover all the screen except for the screen under/around the heat lamp

~1/3 the area of the tank was water, used 2 pyrex rectangular for that with the heat lamp directly over one

reptile humidity gauges IME are not reliable, i use 2 humidity Digital monitors different make/model - and keep them close to her coz the humidity will vary across the tank - believe it or not the humidity right beside the water is actually lower than the other side

good luck - maternal incubation rocks I've done it artificially but won't again

Thanks

Re: Maternal Incubation

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNapoli View Post
    I recently let a 4500gram monster mama maternally incubated her 17 eggs in a 40gallon breeder - i now got 14 hatchlings with almost all em out of their 1st shed

i used cling wrap not cardboard, scotched tape it down to cover all the screen except for the screen under/around the heat lamp

~1/3 the area of the tank was water, used 2 pyrex rectangular for that with the heat lamp directly over one

reptile humidity gauges IME are not reliable, i use 2 humidity Digital monitors different make/model - and keep them close to her coz the humidity will vary across the tank - believe it or not the humidity right beside the water is actually lower than the other side

good luck - maternal incubation rocks I've done it artificially but won't again

17 eggs???!!! I've never heard of that lol. Nice !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Snake For This Useful Post:

Bcycling (10-04-2017)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456