Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

0 members and 2,757 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quitting smoking

I started smoking cigarettes when I was just 14 years old. I was never a bad kid, always got good grades in school, and honestly, other than chewing my nails, smoking was my biggest flaw. I don't really know why I started in the first place.

At 17 years old, I found out I was pregnant. It was so much easier to just quit cold turkey when it was affecting the little person inside me. I got married, had my son, and was stuck in a horrible marriage. I hated my ex husband, he really did some damage to me. I was scared to death to be a single mom, even though I was raking in all the money while he sat at home. I started smoking again at 19 years old, my son was just over a year old. Between the stress of being miserable at home, having to work 8-16 hours a day and then having to come home and deal with my ex I had no escape. I knew it was stupid to start again, but it helped me at the time.

I've been separated since August of 2009, divorced since April of this year (he contested it...which made it drag on longer...) and I feel like I really need to quit smoking. I've always thought "I'm young, I can just keep smoking now and worry about it later". Well, after trying to quit cold turkey almost 2 weeks ago, I realized that maybe I need to cut down first. I was miserable, had all the withdrawel symptoms, physical and mental. My boyfriend, who's been such a huge help though it, decided he could ration them out to me, since I'd be too tempted having them in my own possession. It helped, but I needed more. I made an appointment with my doctor to start Chantix.

I've heard mixed reviews. Some people have some really bad side effects and some take it really well. I decided it was worth it. I am now on day 2 of Chantix. You can smoke for the first week which is good. I have cut down a lot so I'm hoping the urges will stop soon. I'm sitting here at work right now, and I feel like I haven't had a cigarette all day, even though I had one right before work. I'm a little shakey, and jittery and I'm like CRAP...why do I feel like this? Well I go on the Chantix website, and apparently it weans you off nicotine by blocking the nicotine receptors in your brain. So I am starting the withdrawels while I am still smoking. It definitely is not as intense as it was that first day cold turkey with no help, but I just had to share this. The doctor told me that if I had kept smoking for another 5 years (granted I've only been smoking consistently for about 4 years), the damage to my lungs would have been irreversible. She said now that I am quitting now, my lungs should be like a normal life-long non smoker by my 30's. I had no idea the damage it does. I need to be here as long as possible for my son, so the time is now. Wish me luck, either way I need to quit, I'm just hoping it's not as unbearable.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Melody (10-02-2011),RyanT (11-24-2011)

Thanks
    I was a smoker for 7 years and it was a hard habit to kick. I had to stop drinking coffee at the same time as I could not have one without the other which was double hard.

In the end you just have to look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Strong will and determination along with the help of those that you hold close will bring you to the finish line successful.

Good Luck and Stay Strong!
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to el8ch For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (09-20-2011)

Thanks
    Good luck! You could do it. I smoked very heavily for 4 years straight (anywhere from 1/2 pack a day to a pack a day).

Honestly, I know this is a really cliche term, but if I can quit smoking, so can you. I was so heavily addicted that I turned into a monster when I quit smoking. I get addicted to things really easily, and smoking was how I dealt with stress (my life has been pretty stressful). I quit in my first year of University, you can just imagine.

Your boyfriend helping you is a good thing. If my boyfriend never help me quit, then I would have never quit!

I've been free of cigarettes for a few years now!

Good luck, you can do it! The first couple weeks are always the worst.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CatandDiallo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    good luck to you and i hope it doesnt go too bad. i had started at like 12 or 13, mostly from peer pressure which was dumb and smoked up until halloween of last year when i quit cold turkey. i think it helped that i was getting a cold and cigarettes just made me feel worse and maybe the cold blocked out the withdrawal. but i havent really had the urge, but have had multiple chances because everyone smokes and no one pays attention, and its almost a year now so i hope it goes that well for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pbjtime8908 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Quitting smoking

Good Luck Leah! Yes, it is very difficult to quit but I know you can do it! I had smoked for a very long time and I just made up my mind one day that I did not want to do it anymore. Yes, I was a train wreck for the first couple of weeks but after that it got so much easier. I wish you the best young lady!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    all the best. I picked it up while living a few years in spain, since it's almost obligatory to smoke over there, and unfortunately I've only experienced your previous level of fleeting success so far. I'm sure you'll prove stronger than I have been.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wwmjkd For This Useful Post:

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Good luck to you!!
    I know its not easy, wife and I have both smoked for 20+ years.
    Chantix is working great for her................me on the other hand is a problem.
    I cannot figure out what to do with my hands so I start thinking about a cig, then I seem to will myself into one without really wanting one. Its hard when I drive all day and I can go through one and a half to two packs a day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Quitting smoking

Good for you and congratulations on making that decision! I'm not a smoker and can't offer any advice, just words of encouragement. That says a lot for you and about you that you put your son at the forefront of your motivation for quitting. Here's to a long and healthy life for you and he to share together while he grows up!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Everything is about motivation... Cigarets are more mental habit than physical addiction. I start i high school was 16 i believe... was smoking for almost 9 years till I met girl with dont accept this at all... People do strange things when they in love so I drop cigarets... 3 week later i got dropped ... but I realized that if I wasn't smoking for 3 weeks.... there is no sense to coming back..
    time pass...

I moved to US... start working in restaurant... slowly going up in the ladder... got moved to high volume dinner... High pressure of work ( 500 breakfast between 8am-1pm on weekends) put me back to this habit... believe me in the middle of Saturday or Sunday breakfast rush this minute outside of line was like true blessing...
    Then economy in US start going down... even in small but busy touristic locations like St. Augustine Florida... things start falling... I lost my job... was couple months in limbo .. and decided to move to NYC...
    Knowing that pack of Marlboro cost around 11$ (4-4.5 in Florida for example) I decided to quit again.
    I'm clean for 2.5 years...
    Every time I quit i was doing this by myself.. no therapies no pills.. no lowering dosage of smoked cigarets per day... Just Trow last empty package to garbage and tell yourself THAT'S IT... and hang on there...

I had few steps of shaking addiction...

First 3 days are Uhhhh... ...
    Then after initial withdraw from nicotine.. after a week I had day when i almost kill for cigarette ... Then Again same day after next week... then again after a month.. then after 3 months.
    Those was days when i almost smoked again...
    Even now after 2.5 years there are days when i think about cigarette... They say You will be totally cured if You dont smoke same amount of days you smoke... is a true ??
    9y - 6y + 2y - 2.5y = .... yea I'll tell You in 2 and half year...

I keep My fingers crossed for ya... Be Strong Girl

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aes_Sidhe For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    Hang in there. It's been almost 10 months for me, by far my best attempt in the 10+ years I've been a smoker. The mental cravings were constant for the first few months. Then down to maybe once a day. Now I only get cravings occasionally, usually when I see/smell someone else smoking.

The downside is the hand-mouth association thing and I can't seem to break it. I've been shoveling candy/chocolate/sunflower seeds/gum into my face since the day I quit.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (09-29-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast