Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,551

1 members and 1,550 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Help with Red Tail

I have had this boa for about three weeks or so, he has eaten every week without a problem and has seemed to be very normal. This last week I noticed that I had not seen him out of his hide at all, I checked on him and he was in the hide on the warm side and looked like he might be getting ready to shed so I left him alone. Today i noticed that he had moved to the cool side hide so I went ahead and got him out. It is very weird but he seems to be having a issue with control of the lower half of his body. He still can move it but he appeared to be dragging himself around with his upper half. When you pick him up he will coil around your hand with his upper body but the lower half will just hang. If I lift the lower half he will eventually get the rest coiled around. It just seems weird and maybe I am being paranoid about this but he just seems less active than usual.

His temperament has been good, no signs of a infection (wheezing, bubbles around the nose) and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all. He is in a large tank, warm side at 92 cool side around 80 with a hide on either side, humidity is at 70%. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated not sure if I should worry or not??????
    Last edited by jgrant0553; 09-13-2011 at 08:27 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    If hes in shed, leave him be till he sheds. Some snakes are lazy and let their tails hang.

After the shed, make sure you see a pee/urate and poop. Being Backed up can also cause discomfort when moving the lower half of body

Thanks

Re: Help with Red Tail

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    If hes in shed, leave him be till he sheds. Some snakes are lazy and let their tails hang.

After the shed, make sure you see a pee/urate and poop. Being Backed up can also cause discomfort when moving the lower half of body
    Is there anything I should watch for, his eyes are not cloudy so I'm not sure if he is going to shed or not. If he is backed up will it clear on its own?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    If his belly was pinkish in color at anytime you noticed then hes in shed. The eyes will cloud over for few days then clear up. If you dont get a shed in 10-14 days then i would soak hhim in warm water for a hour and see if that makes him go.

If he does poop, inspect his lower half of body to see if hes using it more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    If his belly was pinkish in color at anytime you noticed then hes in shed. The eyes will cloud over for few days then clear up. If you dont get a shed in 10-14 days then i would soak hhim in warm water for a hour and see if that makes him go.

If he does poop, inspect his lower half of body to see if hes using it more
    He was most deffinetly pink, so he is probably in shed. I will keep a eye on him for the next week or so and make sure he sheds. Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it.

Thanks

My boas get all wrinkly around the neck area when they are about to shed.
    If it is indeed about to shed, maybe up the humidity some.

Thanks
    My girl likes to move her upper half and lower half independently, so when you pick her up she swings herself around wildly until one area gets a hold on something. You might just have a lazy/unusual snake there. If it only seems to be getting worse then I wouldn't bother asking for just advice, I'd take him to a vet and have him checked out.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I agree that you should leave him alone until he sheds. Mine is albino and I literally have no warning before he sheds, I only know when he tries to bite me that he must be in shed
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have increased the humidity a bit and am keeping things nice and warm on one side, he dosen't seem any worse but for now I am just going to leave him be. He is still a little guy and I don'y want to stress him out but he dosen't seem to be in distress at all and he has continued to eat without a problem and he does move from warm side to cool side so he can get around all right, maybe he is just lazy I forget how small he is untill I get my Ball Python out, who is now getting big. Anyway if anything seems to get worse I will take him to the vet, other wise I will wait and see how things go.

Thanks

Just a update incase any one is still keeping track. He shed yesturday, much easier than my Ball ever has, and even ate last night. He seems back to normal and all looks good. Thanks again to eveyone for your help, love this forum.