Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

0 members and 3,118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The Importance of Selecting an Experience Reptile Vet

'Tis stuck.
    -- Judy

Registered User Unstable3lement's Avatar
    Thanks

Speaking of good reptile vets...how do I know if the ones in my area are "good." Aside from reading posts and reviews on clinics..which can often be misleading, is there a good way to determine a good vet. I.E. what kinds of questions do I ask to verify their experience?

I am from Augusta, GA...
    Last edited by Unstable3lement; 02-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    $n@k3 Kissssssssssss

1.0 Pastel BP (Moscato)
    1.0 Normal BP (Kahlua)
    0.1 Albino BP (Lemoncello)
    0.1 Spider BP (Stella Artois)
    1.0 Columbian/Hog Boa (Jameson)
    0.1 DH Coral Albino Boa (Brandy)
    0.1 Red Tail Boa (Killian)
    0.1 Pinstripe BP (Kamora)
    0.1 Lesser (R.I.P)

Thanks

Thank GOD for Forums like this ! A month ago I jumped into "BP Heaven" and have been growing my family from one to now three. Seven years ago when I moved to Chico CA, I secured a very reliable vet who works with my director at a local wildlife center. This past year, a new Vet Hospital was built and five vets went with this idea of bringing full service to ONE location and keeping the location at a moment's drive instead of out of route in case emergencies arise.
    This year is my first year with reptiles and now embarking on an incredible journey which i should have done 20 years ago. Never too late I say...

A personal vet is a LIFESAVER and vital asset for my BPs. My female just had her Barium Fecal and she is clean of all parasites. My next two kids will follow within the next month. I am now in the process of securing much needed information by book, internet, whatever I can get my hands on. " Feeling pretty much like a college kid at this point."LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    He posts here and he posts on Fauna. While I'm still debating whether or not to out that "vet" of his, I'll leave him anonymous.
    While I'm not sure that the vet should be completely discredited (they may be great with cats and dogs, but not so much with reptiles), I do think it's important that, if the recommended herp vet list is a part of this site, the vet's name is removed. It's one thing if I were to go into the first vet I saw asking for help with my animal, and having an inexperienced vet attempt to help. If I were to find a vet at the recommendation of others, and they misdiagnosed/mistreated my animal, it would call into question the experience and quality of those that created the list as well as the vet.

Knowledge is power, and if there are people to avoid -- even those with the best of intentions -- I'd rather be able to make a fully informed decision. So, maybe not the full BOI for the vet, but at least gently redirect those looking to that person for the treatment of their herps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234