Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,370

1 members and 1,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Snake bite question...

Not sure what to think about what happened to me during my BPs last feeding. I did what I normally do on feeding day and put the rat in the tank like always. Shortly after I put the rat in, he tried to escape out the door (my tank has a large drop down door since it's a converted showcase). At the time, my BP didn't show any interest in the rat, until I tried to prevent the furry meal from getting out. At that time my BP struck my wrist and tried to wrap me. Thankfully I was quick enough to grab his tail to stop the wrapping. This is the first time I have been bitten and the first time I am aware of that my BP has struck a human (I'm the third owner of this snake).

Should I be worried that my BP will continue to strike or just chalk it up to him becoming interested in his food as I reached in? He did release me on his own and went into his hide right after (kinda seemed like he felt bad for biting me, if that's even possible, lol). This just has me concerned that this won't be a one time event. Oh, before I forget. The rat hadn't been handled by the hand attached to the wrist he struck, so I'm certain that he didn't go after any scent.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Dave S; 09-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I think it's possible that he was just confused. His cage probably smelt like rat and your body heat moving around caused him to bite you by mistake.

Your bite was a feeding response. When they bite and try to constrict they've mistaken you for food, when they just bite it's defensive.

I wouldn't worry too much about your snake being out for blood, just be careful when there is food or food smell around.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

Dave S (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    I'm guessing he smelled the rat in the tank and saw your wrist moving, thought it was feed and struck. Thats why I never put my hand near my snakes an hour before I feed and up to 13 hours after I feed. I do this because A I feed f/t and "scent" the room before feeding, B handling snakes before feeding can stress them out, C handling while food is present can cause confusing and the snake might think your food, and D i wait atleast 13 hours after feeding preferably up to 24 to make sure that they don't get stressed and throw their food back up. As for being worried that the snake will keep biting you, I wouldn't worry about it he was just confused. You just learned the hard way why you don't put your hand in a snake tank with food lol.
    Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/flyfishben?feature=mhee

My Collection:
    0.1 2009 pastel
    1.0 2010 spider
    0.1 2010 pinstripe
    0.1 2011 pastel
    1.0 2011 mojave
    0.1 2011 cinnamon
    0.0.1 2009 normal corn snake
    0.1 100% het anery 66% het snow boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to benwallage9 For This Useful Post:

Dave S (09-06-2011)

Thanks

Re: Snake bite question...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Not sure what to think about what happened to me during my BPs last feeding. I did what I normally do on feeding day and put the rat in the tank like always. Shortly after I put the rat in, he tried to escape out the door (my tank has a large drop down door since it's a converted showcase). At the time, my BP didn't show any interest in the rat, until I tried to prevent the furry meal from getting out. At that time my BP struck my wrist and tried to wrap me. Thankfully I was quick enough to grab his tail to stop the wrapping. This is the first time I have been bitten and the first time I am aware of that my BP has struck a human (I'm the third owner of this snake).

Should I be worried that my BP will continue to strike or just chalk it up to him becoming interested in his food as I reached in? He did release me on his own and went into his hide right after (kinda seemed like he felt bad for biting me, if that's even possible, lol). This just has me concerned that this won't be a one time event. Oh, before I forget. The rat hadn't been handled by the hand attached to the wrist he struck, so I'm certain that he didn't go after any scent.

Thoughts?
    The only 2 times I've been bitten, I had the smell of rat on my hands from feeding other snakes. They go mostly by smell, so you can't blame them...

Thanks

I kinda already suspected that was the case, but wanted to be sure . Oddly enough, the bite didn't even hurt. I've had cat scratches that hurt more. I was more shocked than anything, lol.

As for not handling an hour or so before and for 24 hours after, I have always practised that rule, but I wait until 48 hours after a meal (sometimes more if he eats two small-medium rats)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I kinda already suspected that was the case, but wanted to be sure . Oddly enough, the bite didn't even hurt. I've had cat scratches that hurt more. I was more shocked than anything, lol.
    Lol, that's usually how it is with BP bites. It's more the shock factor. I've been bitten I think 6 or 7 times now and I've only had one bite that actually hurt.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Oh, I wasn't blaming him . Had him since x-mas and this was the first time he struck me (even with other times of holding the rat for him). Mainly want to set my mind at ease

Thanks

Shadow :)

Hunn .. we both know shadow still feels bad about bitting you . poor guy . At least he comes out of the rock now And hopefully we can keep his Skin from this Shed...

P.S. i finally found a post of yours

Thanks
    haha we all get bit eventually. Ive been bit many time on my herping adventures after the first few times you learn to ignore it. There teeth are so fine and it happens so quick it doesnt really hurt. A few months back i had a roughly 6 1/2 foot Rat snake that i had caught and was holding it talking to a buddy. Then i looked down and the little bugger had bit me 3 times and then struck me again. Blood was pooring down my arm and i had no clue that it even bit me. haha
    BPs
    Ive lost count