Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

0 members and 2,859 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Help! Gecko accident

I was going to mist my gecko as I normally do before I go to bed and put her light out. I have an Exo Terra terrarium with the hinged, glass door, and while I was closing it, I didn't realise my Gecko's tail was right there. A good portion of her tail was cleanly chopped off. I feel so guilty about it; I should've been more careful. I immediately sterilised the wound, and cleaned off whatever blood was there.

I'm bordering on tears right now. I can't believe how irresponsible I was, and now I've injured my animal. She's not bleeding profusely, which is probably due to the fact that several lizard tails are 'break-away' anyhow. It's gruesome, and I feel like such a bastard for it. I feel like I don't deserve to have an animal.

Is she going to be okay? )=
    Last edited by ReclusiveDemon; 08-28-2011 at 10:21 PM.

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'm sorry - i know how guilty you feel when accidents happen. You've done all you can and I'm sure it will be fine. How did you sterilize the wound? I would just watch it very carefully - make sure the bleeding is stopped and then watch for infection. What kind of substrate do you use? you don't want it sticking to the wound.

It's ok - your not a bad person I felt the same way the other day when a tub in my rat rack flooded...

Thanks
    She will be fine. Id use a damp paper towel as her substrate for awhile. Like womsterr said you dont want anything sticking to it.
    BPs
    Ive lost count