Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

1 members and 2,975 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Help with a new JCP

Rescued a jungle recently and omg is he snappy. I have delt with nippy snakes before but my god this thing snaps at whatever comes in the cage, any tips on calming him down?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    First just give it some time and don't handle (at first) except to clean. You can try the putting a tshirt that you've worn during the day in with him. Be sure not to wear cologne or body sprays with it. This should help him get used to your scent. It'll take time, but with short and gentle handling sessions he should settle down.
    Do you know how old he is?
    Carpets can be very rewarding snakes to keep.
    Last edited by waltah!; 08-27-2011 at 06:53 AM.
    --Walt

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

jsmorphs2 (08-27-2011),Vypyrz (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    I dont, he was being kept at a local pet store in deplorable conditions and I just couldnt stand looking at it anymore so I got him, of course I researched for about a month ahead of time to study behaviors care reqs etc... He is about 4-4.5 feet long and maybe as big around as a childs wrist.

Thanks
    i just got a year old jungle cross from my pet shop too. It had been in the shop is october last year, so finally i broke and took him home with me. he was very snappy and came out from the hide everytime i opened the door. People say to live it for a while to adjust but i don't agree. I handled it for the first 2 hours and it bit me at least 30 times that night. When i put him back to his viv, i went back every hour to touch him which he didn't like but the next morning, he didn't mind me around. In the pet shop he wasn't handled and the viv door was opened at feeding time so he was always ready to snap his food. By handling him loads at first you will get bitten more but the calming process is cut short by much longer. They are very adaptable so don;t be afraid to handle her much. i noticed a difference in behaviour in less than 48 hours.

Thanks
    How many grams is he ? Obviously rule #1 leave him alone for a week don't bother him, carpets strike in deffense and not aggresion, when you handle for the first time his heart is going to be racing and he is 10x more nervous then you, and no matter what that neck is going to be ready for anything even when you are holding him, secondly carpets are extremly tamed it just takes time, once you let him adjust to home you got to get in their 3 times a week for about 10 mins(not before otr after feedings), if gloves help yu then sure use gloves, I promise you once its tamed down, carpets are cool as #*@$

Thanks
    Let him settle in, frequent calm short handling sessions and remember that they tend to chill out A LOT as they age, once they start to feel like less of a prey item and more of a predator they tend to not care as much if someone wants to hold them..

also as a side note when I say calm handling I am not just referring to your attitude but also the environment at home, dont get him out if you have loud family around or a lot of movement in the room, try to make sure you have enough light that he isnt going to mistake a finger for possible food and make smooth assured movements when getting him out of his enclosure. You can also try using the same hand sanitizer or soap every time right before you hold him, some people have found that to help them get their snakes ready to be handled.

Good luck and dont forget to post some photos of him
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts