Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 537

0 members and 537 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: New bulls

Thanks

New bulls

Well after reading up on these type of snakes I finally picked up a pair of bull snakes at the reptile show. I got an albino male and a white-sided female het albino. They are probably less than a few months old and about 2 feet in length. I have never owned any collubrids before these guys and I wanted something on the larger scale so I think I picked the best for the price anyways. At the reptile show they were on their best behavior and didn't hiss or do any tail rattling untill they got home. The hissing scared the snot out of me at first because I expected to be bitten soon afterwards but I have held them both individually everyday since for at least half an hour a piece and even though they occasionally hiss and rattle their tales during handling, It seems to be just a big bluff and somewhat comical. The male almost always has his head puffed up when i first grab him and I was worried about him having a respiratory infection because sometimes I would hear a small click noise from his breathing occasionally. This usually happens before or after he hisses at me or when his head is flattened out. I was so concerned I placed his head near my ear and listened for a few moments and everything sounds clear. He is very active and inquisitive. His nostrils and mouth appear to be clean and clear and has eaten two meals in the 10 days that I have had him so I think he is healthy and maybe i'm just being paranoid but I wanted to see what you guys think. The female has calmed down much faster than the male and the only attitude I get from her is an occasional tail rattle that sometimes catches me off guard but she likes to keep moving like the male. I am used to boas and pythons that just kind of sit on your lap while watch tv but these guys don't like to sit still but i'm cool with that. So far im pleased and glad I picked these up. I had to convince my girlfriend they were cool snakes. She originally wanted an albino retic but i told her I didn't feel like having a snake that needs to eat food from the human society every month lol.

Thanks
    pics or it didn't happen!

what show was this from? i too picked up a WS het albino female from daytona. she is in shed ATM.

Thanks

Re: New bulls

Cleveland reptile show. Ill post some pics soon. I just didn't consider it a big deal because everyone has seen a white sided and albino bull. Nothing special here

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have not owned bulls but I do own a northern pine snake. Same family, same attitude, same comical bluffing.

Check out this video, it is of an irate northern pine snake. Pits have unusually large glottis, which explains the really loud hissing. When they pull so much air back in, it sounds like chortling or choking or perhaps clicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBtupYEMtw

I've been thinking of going for a bull for my next snake. Pits are so fun.

Thanks

Yeah, pines have some pretty slick morphs. When I went to the show I was looking for any of the pits I just happened to get bulls because they didn't really have any of the others. The video reminds me alot of the male except for the fact that he only hisses when he is out of his enclosure and he doesn't keep it going for more than a few seconds at a time.

Thanks
    common or not its still nice to see pics.