Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,248

1 members and 2,247 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

Back up dimmer for T-stat?

So tomorrow my new Hydrofarm thermostat should be showing up. I see people using back up dimmers with their T-stats incase their t-stat fails.

And I have a dimmer I'm using now so to let it not go to waist and ensure the safety of my snake, how exactly would I hook it up? Or is it just a, *it failed let's hook up the dimmer* type of thing?
    Or can you explain to me what a backup dimmer actually does? XD
    Thanks!
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffpuffgerbil For This Useful Post:

dogdayofsummer (08-23-2011)

Thanks

Re: Back up dimmer for T-stat?

Check out my post from yesterday

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-malfunctioned

I would not use a dimmer as a back up but a cheap non-proportional thermostat Dimmers are extremely unreliable. I am using one now for my rack until my thermostat gets back and I HATE it.
    Nothing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

fluffpuffgerbil (08-23-2011)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Rich from Reptile Basics can explain thermostat back ups better than I can:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Safety backups - When and why they are needed

No matter how much you spend or what model/brand you get your thermostat CAN FAIL! A number of things can lead to this happening: power surges, children, overloading, rat chewing on a poorly placed probe, bad luck or karma, etc. BE READY, you can use a simple, less expensive thermostat as a back up. Odds of both failing at the same time are much, much less! In many cases this may not be needed. If careful consideration is given to the maximum heat possible to a given cage or tub you may find it impossible to get to fatal temps. In smaller tubs, like 5-12 quart sizes, you may find that even with low wattage heat tape that your tubs could potentially reach fatal temps easily! With the VE-100 as you backup and either the VE-200 or VE-300 as your primary the units will stack for a very neat, organized appearance.

Most failures we hear about are actually not failures of the thermostat, but failures of the probe. Often a probe can be dislodged with constant moving of tubs in racks or in cages. Some thermostats can not differentiate between normal circumstances and when your heat element is not working properly. The Vivarium Electronics VE-300 model comes with a full set of alarms to de activate the heat ouput and sound a loud buzzer when there is an issue. For example- with most thermostats if the probe is dislodged from the heater the thermostat will simply turn up (or on) the power, never realizing the heat element has surpassed the set point. With the VE-300 if the setpoint is not reached for more than 30 continuous minutes the alarm will let you know- and shut off the power output!
    My back up setup is having my Helix plugged into my Ranco with both probes taped together and the Ranco set 5 degress higher than the Helix. If the Helix goes crazy and starts pumping up the temp the Ranco will shut off the Helix once it reaches 5 degrees over the normal set temp.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 08-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

fluffpuffgerbil (08-23-2011),Jessica Loesch (08-23-2011)

Thanks

Re: Back up dimmer for T-stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chandler View Post
    Rich from Reptile Basics can explain thermostat back ups better than I can:

My back up setup is having my Helix plugged into my Ranco with both probes taped together and the Ranco set 5 degress higher than the Helix. If the Helix goes crazy and starts pumping up the temp the Ranco will shut off the Helix once it reaches 5 degrees over the normal set temp.
    Exactly
    Nothing

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you don't have or cannot afford to have a double thermostat setup the dimmer option is better than nothing at all and works quite well. To answer your question plug the dimmer into the thermostat. Set your probe where it belongs on heat source. Set desired temp on thermostat. After temps settle in you can adjust the dimmer to the temp a little higher than your tstat and you will be in good shape. You can tell if you have your dimmer to low because tstat will not reach temps and will not shut off. Takes a little adjusting but it works...
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Mojave

0.1 Bearded/Lizzy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Strick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The problem I see with a dimmer is simple it drops the max out put of the heat source generally a good thing it should be a fairly decent safety. The problem to be safe you would likely adjust it to no go over say 100ºF but if you get a cool day the t-stat may try to get the temps up but be prevented by the dimmer. With dual t-stats both would 'sense' the lower room temps and would still allow correct temps. You may end up introducing the same issues the dimmer has to the t-stat.

I have not tried it myself but this is what I figure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I don't have and don't have the money to buy another thermostat. I've just heard of people using the dimmer and when their T-stat failed, it saved their snakes.
    I can see and understand the issue with using the dimmer from what Kitedemon said, and I can see it only getting too cool at night.(can't make the temp higher at night, but my room temps in the day are about 80 and only because my lizard has his heat lamp and stuff)
    Anyway, thanks for all the replies!
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)