Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,785

2 members and 2,783 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How often do you see your BPs drink water?

Well most of they day they are always hiding in their hides. At night they do come out but I go to sleep already so frankly speaking, I have never ever seen them drink water from the water dish

Should I give these hatchlings baths to ensure that they are drinking water? Feeding them one rat fuzzy now every wed and sat and so far they have been eating perfectly.

How do you know if a hatchling is dehydrated? Here is my temporary tank setup:

This one is under quarantine, so he is inside one of the rooms where it is cooler that is why there is a heating bulb.
    0.1 MJ: Pastel BP '11
    0.1 Dot: Normal BP '11
    1.0 Prince:Bumble Bee BP '11
    0.1 Zuma: Normal Burmese Python Hatchling '11
    1.0 Cheecha: Bearded Dragon '08
    0.1 Chong: Bearded Dragon'08
    0.1 Kang Kong: Mexican Green Iguana (since 1999)
    >>>http://www.iherp.com/muzikfreakah<<<
    >>>http://www.youtube.com/muzikfreakah<<<

Thanks
    I have seen mine drink. Sometimes after eating. Almost always when I clean out their bowl and add fresh water. If You have hatchlings in a glass tank, they are probably too scared to come out in the daytime & drink. I`d suggest adding a "backing" to the ends and back of that tank for a bit more privacey. Yours are probably coming out when it`s dark.
    14.23 Ball Pythons
    1.2 Blood Pythons
    1.2 Coastal Carpets
    4.4 Boa Constrictors
    1.1 Dumerils
    9.17 Corns & Rats
    0.1 Childrens
    0.1 KSB
    1.0 Rosy Boa
    1.0 Retic

Thanks
    In about 6 years. I've seen a few snakes drinking. Its not very common to see, since they do mostly everything when no-one is watching.

One time my very first female had flipped a water dish while I had gone on a week vacation. When I came back she had no water, So I filled it back up and grabbed her and put her head right in front of it. Her nose hit the water and she started drinking, while I was holding her. LOL

You dont need to soak them to make sure they are drinking. If they are eating, they should be fine on their own. They get alot of water from a meal as well as the nutrients.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I think I've seen it maybe twice. Signs of dehydration are wrinkly skin and dimpled eyes.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    When my new rack is out, it will have a curtain which I can close during the day to give them privacy

Thanks guys. At least now I know they also get fluid from their prey. One of these days I will try to stalk at night and observe if they drink or not

Thanks
    Mine drinks every time after he eats. Usually approx 4 minutes after swallowing the prey down. He will head straight over to the water dish and start drinking the water down. I would too if I had just ate something as dry as a hair covered rodent. lol

Thanks
    i have caught mine drinking a few times. I have only had him for a month and a half. it's funny, i will walk in the room and catch him drinking and he will stop because he doesn't like to do it when anyone is watching and he will sit there hovering over his bowl until i walk away. the times i have caught it are when i have recently (within the past hour or so) changed his water bowl. i have him in a glass tank and my temps and humidity fluctuate a lot, or at least they did when i first got him and was figuring everything out. so i tend to check on him a lot throughout the day, and therefore have found him drinking at least 5 or 6 times since i got him. i wouldnt worry about not seeing them drink, mine usually does it in the evening or the middle of the night
    Last edited by jarobin; 08-21-2011 at 12:25 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jarobin For This Useful Post:

Kryptic (09-17-2022)

Thanks
    I got home after church and lunch today and saw MJ on top of her water dish. I guess she came out for a drink, but she was on top of it, and not in it but I guess it is safe to say she Drank while we weren't looking.

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks
    This was one of the first things I wanted to find out, I personally didn't notice my snake drinking water.
    But I read on some sites about it and concluded that even if she was drinking water in front of me, I would not notice it, because how you drink water is unique.
    Last edited by mlededee; 09-17-2022 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Link removal

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Re: How often do you see your BPs drink water?

Quote Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
    This was one of the first things I wanted to find out, I personally didn't notice my snake drinking water.
    But I read on some sites about it and concluded that even if she was drinking water in front of me, I would not notice it, because how you drink water is unique.
    This is an old thread but a common question anyway- snakes are fairly subtle about drinking, & they even suck up drips of water from the surface of leaves in the wild, from the sides of their homes after you mist, & even from the drips on their own coils. But they often do this at night too, when no one's looking.
    Last edited by mlededee; 09-17-2022 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Link removal
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-18-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast