Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,015

1 members and 2,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1.0 Fennec Fox

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: 1.0 Fennec Fox

Quote Originally Posted by oppie2005 View Post
    Silver Fox. Not a fennec fox, but a fox nonetheless, and they are domesticated. i personally thought it was interesting to read about their domestication process.

http://www.sibfox.com/

there was also a tv special on this. i cant for the life of me remember the name or the channel of the show. but it was pretty cool.
    Look at those horrible little cages those guys are living in!

I don't know what any tv special might have said about these, but calling them "domesticated" is a HUGE stretch. "Tame"....maybe. I have my doubts about even that. But an animal like that is a looong way from being domesticated.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Look at those horrible little cages those guys are living in!

I don't know what any tv special might have said about these, but calling them "domesticated" is a HUGE stretch. "Tame"....maybe. I have my doubts about even that. But an animal like that is a looong way from being domesticated.
    I'm not sure what "little cages" you saw. I don't see anything that shows the size of their cages at all.

They did have some "domesticated" foxes. They bred the tamest of the tamest for several generations and ended up with foxes that acted very domesticated and their ears tended to be more floppy. All domestication process is, is breeding for tameness. If they act completely domesticated, then what stops them from getting the label of domesticated species? Not just training, they bred specifically for tameness, instead of for color or coat. Just tameness and handleability. There was a couple papers on them at some point years ago, but I haven't seen anything new in years about it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

That fox is so cute! Is the biting just being playful, being aggressive or is it something they get over as they become more tame/get to know you better? And you said he plays with your cat? Does that go well? How long did it take them to get acclimated to each other?

The silver fox project is REALLY cool in my opinion. Seeing the process of domestication and HOW IT CHANGES THE PHYSICAL APPEARANCE of the animal is fascinating to me. There was a great article about domestication of wild animals in Nat Geo that talked about this experiment.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Does he have to get vaccines?
    My breeder said to be very careful with those. Some people have let their vets give vaccines to their fennecs and it killed them. If he needs a vaccine she should be contacted first to make sure it is safe.

It's the same thing with certain tick killing solutions. One kind that is safe for dogs will kill a fennec.

Potentially dangerous species include the following orders: Primates; Carnivora (nondomestic dogs and cats, bears);
    New Jersey

Doesn't a fox qualify as a Carnivora-nondomestic? Just wondering.
    The "potentially dangeorous" is what I looked at, since no one could construe a fennec fox as being dangerous or life-threatening. They don't get over three pounds. It is best to contact the officials in your state to make sure though.

As far as training, you can train just about anything with precise operant conditioning. You just have to be patient and very precise about when you reward. Once you get the first steps down of establishing the reward cue, you can easily start shaping behavior and even extinguish unwanted behaviors via "off cue" extinguishing. That way there's no negative conditioning but you get the results you want.
    Interesting... not sure I have the patience to train him as he's very energetic and doesn't focus. I can't get him to sit for a treat because he's too busy climbing the walls! :o

Silver Fox. Not a fennec fox, but a fox nonetheless, and they are domesticated. i personally thought it was interesting to read about their domestication process.
    Oh yeah I heard about that. I also read a couple of scientific papers in one of my college biology courses regarding how they were domesticated.

They are very expensive too...

That fox is so cute! Is the biting just being playful, being aggressive or is it something they get over as they become more tame/get to know you better? And you said he plays with your cat? Does that go well? How long did it take them to get acclimated to each other?
    Most of the time he is just nipping. You can barely feel it. However sometimes he does have abrupt mood shifts and will snarl and bite down hard. It's hard to gauge when he will do that, but I'm getting a better feel for it.

I'm also getting faster in moving my limbs away. (He doesn't just bite hands. He has bitten down hard on my forearm before)

As for the fox and the cat, she was fine with him when they were playing at my aunt's house, which is where they were introduced. After we went back to my house (where she had established herself for about three months - I adopted her), she was less fond of him. She doesn't hurt him though, and never has. He sometimes bites her tail or charges her and barks and she will hiss and swipe at him but he always comes back for more, so she can't be hitting too hard. Sometimes she chases him though. She's had plenty of opportunities (from what I've seen) to seriously hurt him and she hasn't.
    Last edited by Slashmaster; 08-15-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Where do you live...I may want to come by and nab him

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miscreantpc View Post
    Where do you live...I may want to come by and nab him
    Haha! That's a secret.
    Not even my friends get to see him. Family and very close friends only ;D

Thanks

Congrats! Hes so beautiful! I've always wanted one but I've heard theyre illegal here in Az...
    -Melody

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slashmaster View Post
    Haha! That's a secret.
    Not even my friends get to see him. Family and very close friends only ;D
    Can I sign some sort of binding legal document in order to see him?

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Interesting idea, but you're rather far away ;D

Thanks

Half parrot, half fox? He spends so much of his time on my shoulder.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast