Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

0 members and 2,852 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1.0 Fennec Fox

Thanks
    That's too frickin cute. Oh my lord. Way to cute.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    I remember seeing the Nat Geo documentary "Science of Dogs" where they went into breeding foxes for temperament in Russia and the "nice foxes" actually physically changed. They produced silver and grey & white foxes and they behaved more like domestic dogs. It was very neat.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks
    This latest picture is too cute! I think it's decided that I have to get one (at some point in the future)! I was watching a YouTube video of someone feeding their fennecs goldfish and the one was wagging its tail and jumping all around! So cute.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Those ears!
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness he is the cutest thing on the planet!

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Le bump.

Update pics?!

That lil fox is way too cute

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    I agree more pics this is my first time hearing about these house pet foxes and they look cool
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks

Re: 1.0 Fennec Fox

I understand this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in with some information regarding foxes.

Red and Arctic species are most commonly kept along with the Fennec. Red and Arctic species are more similar to a dog than the Fennec. Fennec species generally is louder and does not litter train much. Reds and Arctic have some luck litter or house training but upon maturity and into adulthood, they will urine mark things, even their own food and water.

The odor is not the body, but the urine that smells of skunk, particularly the red species. They can ask "musk" the way a snake can, and it is a very different and difficult to describe odor. It will linger on clothing and other items until washed. It is a rare occurrence with tamed animals.

Red foxes are mass bred in fur farms around the world and have tons of different color morphs. There are some color morphs of Arctic species as well. Red foxes are cheapest, a few hundred dollars and up. Both should be hand raised from 2-3 weeks of age for ideal temperament. They are generally not aggressive, and would much rather run than fight. When hand raised, can be very very tame and affectionate, and will enjoy petting and may pursue you to be petted.

Red and Arctic species should be kept outdoors around and after 6 months of age. A large enclosure with a covered floor and top is needed as they can climb (particularly red species - Arctic are more dog like in movements). They are very destructive indoors and would make your house smell foul quickly. They get along well with dogs and will play with them when raised with them.

In the US, state, county, and town/city ordinances must all be obeyed to possess legally. None will trump the others. Most states do not allow legal ownership, and those that do will generally require them to be captive bred and purchased from licensed dealers.

The "domestic fox" project is in Russia. They have bred the red species intentionally for tameness for many years. They cost nearly 10 thousand dollars to purchase. You can have a tame, sociable animal that is raised from a young age right here in the US for far less money.

Edit: also, for a state that had a law regarding canidae or carnivora, unless the Fox is noted as exempt, they would be illegal, even the Fennec fox, despite their size. So they are illegal in New Jersey based on the quoted law. If owning a fox in new Jersey, it is likely possessed illegally. If discovered, the animal will undoubtedly be confiscated and euthanized. An animal doesn't have to be big to be viewed by the ignorant public as dangerous - a big concern with exotic mammals is rabies. There are no vaccines approved for foxes, or nearly all animals. It requires rigorous testing ($) for it to be considered approved.

It is thought that the rabies, distemper, parvo, etc vaccines can work on foxes and other animals. However, most options are modified live and can, in rare cases, cause the animal to contract the virus. Thus, vaccines should be used with caution. Killed versions of the vaccine are safer. However, having a vaccinated animal in an illegal state will not be sufficient to prevent authorities from confiscating your pet.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 03-02-2016 at 09:53 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilligan For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (03-02-2016),Megg (03-04-2016),wolfy-hound (03-02-2016)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345