Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,529

0 members and 3,529 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rehomed snake questions

I just was given a ball python that is about 3 years and very tiny. Going toget it in today or tomorrow for our local rep guys to have a look and give advice. It is in a bad shed right now, plus stressed by being moved twice in one day. I got it home set up in a quiet part the house plugged in and water bowl filled. Was told it ate a mouse(live) on Saturday. I don't think it has been fed that much. I need to get it out to look at it to judge it's size and get it weighed, but do not know at this time.

First question should I just let it chill for awhile? 1 day,two, a week, before trying to take it out for a look.

I know his tank needs a bit of care, we only have a UTH heater, shredded aspen good size water bowl and half log for hiding. Figured I need a to get a better hiding spot asap to de-stress in.

Frozen/thaw is a totally new concept to me. Should I start frozen right away, try to fatten up on some live. Is it really better, healthier pre-killed, or just preference?
    And what and how much to start. Guess with out having it out yet I say it is no more than 20 to 23 inches long, could even be smaller. I figure the guys at the rep store will able to help me there, I just do not know if I should take up there right now or give it some time to adjust.

I know all I have to do is search to get most all my questions answered, which I have as I spent a couple hours browsing before registering. I guess my main question is how long should I leave it alone? And should I address his shedding issues now, is it a pressing matter to get it off or is he okay just hiding out for now in the shape he is in?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Rehomed snake questions

I would get two good-sized hides in there for him quickly, but otherwise leave him alone for a week before feeding. Pics would help, though, on determining if you should wait that long to attempt to feed. Body condition is more important than age/length in making that call, even though he does sound extremely undersized. If he's supposedly used to eating live mice, I'd try that first, then switch to your preference after a few successful meals.

Edit: By "good-sized" I mean appropriate to his size.
    Last edited by Annarose15; 08-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    I would get two good-sized hides in there for him quickly, but otherwise leave him alone for a week before feeding. Pics would help, though, on determining if you should wait that long to attempt to feed. Body condition is more important than age/length in making that call, even though he does sound extremely undersized. If he's supposedly used to eating live mice, I'd try that first, then switch to your preference after a few successful meals.

Edit: By "good-sized" I mean appropriate to his size.
    +1
    2 good hides are a must. As for feeding stick with what he was eating before trying to switch him. Switching from live to f/t can take some time and if he's really bad it's more important to get some weight on him. If you can, you might want to try to get him on rats at some point too. They get bigger so you can just feed one instead of a couple of mice each feeding.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Yeah I haven't had a good look at it, it was kind of last minute can you come get it now kind of deal. My son and I have been talking for some time about getting one, but we hadn't yet got the point of planning and saving, researching etc. But this just kind of fell in our lap and I thought why not, it helped them out and got us closer to our goal. It doesn't look in to awful shape, at glance, but since it has been so long since I have handle snakes I didn't want to jump in without researching what I should do first. Plus my knowledge is limited to the pet store I worked at some twenty years ago. There is (ahem) local store that deals in reps, and despite some of my feelings to their practises, does have some great knowlegable guys in their, so getting up their have them take a look will be great. I just didn't think it was a good idea to handle it after all the moving yesterday and I thought I would see what you all thought.

We will head to the pet store and get him some hide, I figure that is quickest for now and will give us time to start planning out his caging and getting a feeding plan in place. Right now I just want to get his set up stable, then we can start working on gettting it primo.

Okay off to look at the heating recomendations so I can start getting that in place.

Thanks for you insight.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

You should also get some way of controling the UTH - a thermostat is best but not all pet stores sell decent ones so a lamp dimmer could work as a good stop gap method.

Have a read through the caresheet to get an idea of what we normally recommend.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dogdayofsummer View Post
    Yeah I haven't had a good look at it, it was kind of last minute can you come get it now kind of deal. My son and I have been talking for some time about getting one, but we hadn't yet got the point of planning and saving, researching etc. But this just kind of fell in our lap and I thought why not, it helped them out and got us closer to our goal. It doesn't look in to awful shape, at glance, but since it has been so long since I have handle snakes I didn't want to jump in without researching what I should do first. Plus my knowledge is limited to the pet store I worked at some twenty years ago. There is (ahem) local store that deals in reps, and despite some of my feelings to their practises, does have some great knowlegable guys in their, so getting up their have them take a look will be great. I just didn't think it was a good idea to handle it after all the moving yesterday and I thought I would see what you all thought.

We will head to the pet store and get him some hide, I figure that is quickest for now and will give us time to start planning out his caging and getting a feeding plan in place. Right now I just want to get his set up stable, then we can start working on gettting it primo.

Okay off to look at the heating recomendations so I can start getting that in place.

Thanks for you insight.
    Just go to the dollar store and buy some plastic bowls and solder out an entrance to make hides that aren't over priced.

Thanks
    I would move him to a 28qt sterilite tub (he will feel safer in there). use aspen, a large water bowl, and 2 hides. use the heat pad on the bottom of the tub on the hot side, buy a thermometer and lamp dimmer from lowes or home depot and makes sure it 90-95 under the hot side hide and eat should eat
    Ball Pythons
    2.0 Normal Ball Python - Roswell, Stripe(dinker)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python - Tiger
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Spider
    0.1 Bumble Bee Ball Python - Bea (Beatrice (Betty))
    0.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Scarlet, Gizmo(dinker), Princess (3500g!)

Boas
    0.1 Hypo Boa Consctrictor - Baby

Green Tree Pythons
    0.1 Jayapura Green Tree Python - Mohgli

Turtles
    1.0 Red Ear Slider
    0.1 Mid-land Painted

Thanks
    Not sure if this already was covered, I didn;t see it if it had been, you'll want to help him get the bad shed off. I know he's been moved around and is stressed, but getting that extra skin off is pretty important IMO. Sooner the better for the snake. Everyone else has you covered with the rest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogdayofsummer View Post

Thanks for you insight.
    You can cut a cardboard box down to the right size and use that as a hide, chances are you have an empty shoe box or something around the house somewhere to use.

If it's really hungry that might make this a good opportunity to switch it to frozen. My rescue came from a similar situation and was sporadically fed live mice. Instead of continuing that I from week 1 have been feeding thawed. First every two weeks and then when she seemed ok I switched it to every Wednesday. Has eaten any frozen & thawed rodent I've thrown in there. Mice, rats. She doesn't care. Not sure if it would have been as easy to switch her if I had put her back on live at the beginning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Here is a thread that will help with the bad shed:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...hed-No-problem.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast