Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,228

2 members and 1,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Picking up a package directly from a FedEX hub?

I live in Tucson AZ. WAY TOO TO SHIP! I have ordered and am now waiting for shipping from two separate breeders. Both are willing to wait to ship out and hold my animals until the correct temperatures are around. Even when the temperature drops to the appropriate levels I would still rather directly pick up from the hub as soon as they open versus have the little ones in a truck all day. Have any of you done this? Was it reasonably easily planned out and executed?
    Last edited by EverEvolvingExotics; 08-10-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    No problem at all! I pickup all my snakes at the main hub in the area. I don't want that snake on a truck at all. I pick them up first thing in the morning when they open and have never had a shipping issue. You just setup "Hold for Pickup" at the closest HUB to you. You have to make sure it is acually your huge FEDEX hub. Don't do kinkos or any of those other mail places.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanks! I actually just called up the FedEx customer service center and they said exactly what you did. They found me a hub about 15-20 minutes away from me. The FedEx website calls them "World Service Centers" instead of hubs. I guess that is why I was getting confused.

Now all I have to do is call someone to turn down the thermostat in Tucson to about 88F so I can get my creatures shipped to me!

Thanks

Re: Picking up a package directly from a FedEX hub?

well if they being shipped and over night you should bea able ot get them before the temps become an issue, I also think it possible to have an small ice pack t okeep the snakes cooler if it warm were they are leaving from. I found the package is cooler when i open them than the air temp ( in summer ) I guess the overnight temp helps keep the box cooler for the first half of the day. ( not like they in direct sunlight from sunrise on . )
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks
    I do pick ups sometimes and the Fedex place her won't let you pick up until 9:30am earliest. So, I would say to contact them and find out their times for allowing for pick ups.

Star

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My local Fed Ex allows pick up's from the moment they open. In fact I go there so much they sometimes let me in early because they know i'm getting snakes, lizards, or insects and don't want them in there building.

Thanks
    Hahaha, that's hilarious meeistom. I will always remember the UPS guy's face when dropping off packages of 1000 roaches or superworms at a time. He looked so disgusted with me.

One of the breeders I ordered from ceases all guarantees if the daytime high is above 88 F, no exceptions. So I'd rather wait and have the guarantee.

When I called my local FedEx hub they told me I could pick up as soon as they open. I'll probably have to wait until the last half of Sept to have a chance at getting them shipped. It will be worth the wait.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I have about 8 snakes to ship out in states that are 90-110 and dont look like its clearing up. Ive had these snakes in my possession over months time since they were paid for.

I ship hub to hub in summer months and nothing over 90 will be shipped. I also mark the boxes with stamps Live Reptile and Species to let them know theres a live animal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

EverEvolvingExotics (08-10-2011)

Thanks
    I just shipped to Scottsdale, Arizon on Monday with no problem. On every box I ship, I put a note to please keep at room temperature. On the box I sent to Arizona on Monday they requested to pick up at the hub as well. All I've ever done is get the address of the nearest World Service Center and send it to that address with a note on the box to hold for pickup C/O the customers name.

Thanks
    Theoretically the animals should be fine to be shipped over night, but I don't want to risk it with high temps averaging around 100 degrees. There is always a chance they could be lost in transit, it's not worth the risk to me. Plus, by doing so it saves me feeding costs. I would love to have the new arrivals the second I bought them but I will wait...my patience will pay off in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast