Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

1 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can I deworm this way?

A few of my snakes all seem to be gaining weight but they are not getting as "plump" if you will as I like to see. I have fed live several times and did have to deworm one of my rat bins a while back due to round worms. I am wondering if a few of my snakes may have gotten round worms this way and this is the reason for the non-plump look. Anyway, I HATE deworming snakes. They hate to have their mouths open and I am always afraid I will hurt them during the struggle. So here it is: can I or do you see any reason why I could not inject a FT rat with the appropriate amount of panacure then feed it to the snake? Seems easier to me this way. What do you think?

Thanks
    I would make sure that the snake actually does have the round worms before doing any deworming on your own!

I have seen someone feed a burmese a medicine filled rat, she claimed her vet told her to do that, but I don't know if that was really the right thing to do or not. Hopefully someone will chime in!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Can I deworm this way?

Hi,

I'd get fecals done first.

I'm not a big fan on treatments unless they are actually needed.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    I agree but panacur is pretty darn safe. I am a vet tech so have no issues with self medicating my pets. I can see no reason why feeding a rat with meds would affect the meds effectiveness but I thought I should put it out there cause "ya never know" I can run a float myself but since I deworm everything else on a regular basis I usually do not bother with the fecals unless something is really wrong an an exact diagnosis is required. Most do not realize that routine fecals are one way a DVM can make 100% profit. It is a money maker and costs more than the wormer itself. Panacur is one of those in and out meds (no residual), it only affects worms in the gut not the pet.