Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,517

1 members and 3,516 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New carpet enclosure

i'm planning on picking up a carpet in the near future and was curious if there is anything i should add/remove from this setup and if you guys had a any tips for me... thanks (i do plan on moving the carpet to a larger enclosure when needed and to a tub sometime in the future)

Thanks
    I think you could of done a way better job at cutting that blue box. The set up looks nice. You should consider removing that pole and getting a wood or some vines so the snake could climb.

What kind of light do you have or do you have a UTH ? Also what about a lid what kind do you use is it a screen?

What's the temperature usually at and the humidity?

0.0.2 Ball Pythons ( Bobby & Lucky )
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa ( Romeo )
    1.0.0 Shih Tzu/Pug ( Bear )

Thanks
    UTH and red bulb. temp is usually around 86 on the hot side humidity. I uses a screen top so its kinda hard to keep humidity consistent avg its prolly between 15% and 45%. yeah i was thinking about taking out the pole and replacing it with branches. i only used it because i wanted to see if it would work out.

Thanks
    Unless you live in a desert area and/or have the world's most amazing air conditioning system, your humidity is not 15%. That said, I see condensation near the substrate, so the humidity, at least at the time of the picture, has to be higher than you've described. Reasonably accurate digital thermometer/hygrometer packages are available inexpensively at Wal-mart and other, similar retailers. There's one that's pretty popular with the ball python folks that's got an external temp probe so that you can get temp + humidity readings on one end of the enclosure and temp on the other. (IIRC, it's called an Acu-rite or something similar to that.) I suggest you get one and KNOW what your temp and humidity are instead of guessing.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Thanks

Re: New carpet enclosure

I was just going by the gauge if its wrong I did not realize.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hernandez View Post
    i'm planning on picking up a carpet in the near future and was curious if there is anything i should add/remove from this setup and if you guys had a any tips for me... thanks (i do plan on moving the carpet to a larger enclosure when needed and to a tub sometime in the future)

What kind of substrate are you using? where is the top at for the tank? the pool you have in there wont work because the snake's under side is as smooth as the pole is so itll be difficult for him to grip. if you are getting a baby carpet dont worry about the hole side on the blue hide it will be able to get in and out of that without issue. You can also use one of those flower pot with a hole in the bottomthat you can get from home depot shouldnt be more than $5. Buy it, turn it upside down in the tank and you have a durable hide. Sometimes with cardboard (like my brisk ice tea one in the picture) once it gets wet too many times or the animals feces on it, it becomes trash so you'll eventually have to toss it.

Below is the set up I have for my 3/4 foot carpet python the only thing you cant see is the water dish lol. its real simple a hide, newspaper as substrate because its free and easy to change as soon as they move their bowels on it, a water dish big enough for him/her to soak in and a hot spot.

Last edited by JungleCarpet81; 08-09-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hernandez View Post
    I was just going by the gauge if its wrong I did not realize.
    As long as you have a good source of heat thats always on CHE (ceramic heat emitter, emits heat but no light can always be kept on) or one of the lights that you can leave on for at least 8hrs a day the snake will be fine. I dont use any kind of guages and my snakes do just fine. they eat all the time with no issue other than my bigger one of the two will only eat live but that has nothing to with temps lol. I have a heat source that uses a light so i leave the light on from about 5 am to 6/7pm every day and the snake uses the heat as its leasiure (spelling is wrong). make sure you keep a water dish in there full @ all times. I see you have one in there now but if you can get a rubber maid plastic one so the snake can fully soak its body he'd appreciate that much more. also I mist my tanks a minimum of three times a day. they always shed in complete skins and I never get eye caps. since this is your first carpet (not sure if its your first snake) you might want to get some gauges but i dont find them to be needed.