Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

0 members and 3,133 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Gecko/Anole feeders

So, possibly a sensitive topic. I know the idea is still sad for me, but this is why I'm here.

For several years now my boyfriend and I have been looking into one day getting an asian vine snake. They are gorgeous animals, though known to be a little difficult to care for, so we have been nonstop studying for a while, trying to see who gives what info(and who manages to keep theirs alive and healthy to see if we can actually trust their info) They are also my boyfriend's favorite snake.

We have been looking into every little aspect of their care for a while now--except for feeding. We know they are lizard feeders and so far none have converted reliably to rodent feeding. Some will eat fish, but I don't know how healthy that would be on a regular basis.

So...Started looking into the feeders. Honestly, I would really prefer not to feed live, and would rather feed f/t. I notice though that there is no one who sells frozen anoles or geckos. I am curious--do they not react well to the freezing/not stay well? Is it something that just isn't worth the time of the companies who sell them live? I have seen snake breeders use f/t geckos/anoles for their snakes, but they froze them themselves.

I'm just sort of doing some research. If it comes down to it, I suppose I could euthanize/feed them myself, it's just something I have not had to deal with yet--and since my boyfriend just adores both house geckos and anoles and would keep more than he euthanizes/feeds, I would have to be the one in charge of it. It would be a bit of a struggle for me, I'm a tad more easily attached to geckos and anoles than rodents(Never had a pet rat or mouse, but have had geckos and anoles) I would prefer to not have to deal with it. Truthfully, I'd rather get something that IS a rodent feeder that just sort of looks like a vine snake(Rhino ratsnakes would be a great compromise, if I can get the boyfriend to agree to it. But if he really wants his vine snake, he has to deal with killing the food for it, so )

Anyway, even if we don't get one, it would still be interesting to hear the answer to why they aren't ever sold frozen. I've tried to look it up, but haven't found the reason.

Thanks
    I think (though I never really delved into the subject myself) that perhaps they aren't sold frozen for the same reasons as you mentioned - it's a touchy subject, and could be very controversial among gecko and anole owners (they might see it and decide not to buy from the seller because of it) and because it's a very specialized feeder that doesn't have a very big market. Not many people are looking for feeder lizards, there just aren't enough common species kept in captivity that need to eat lizards.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Makes sense. Funny, I would rather buy from someone who sells them frozen rather than as live feeder! But oh well. I guess it also gives the option to have a few live if you can't get them started on f/t.

Didn't think about how few people keep lizard eaters. I have been so wrapped up in researching the less common captive herps and their diet/care needs I forgot how many people have the big three(balls, leos, and beardies) as well as the other common reptiles

I guess I'll still have to think on it. Not like we are in any rush to get one. I've got a couple years to figure out if the beautiful snake is worth the lizard feeding, or if it's just not something I'm cut out to own!
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 08-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Oddly, my rodent supplier just got asian vine snakes, but she never mentioned what they were eating. Not knowing about them, I didn't think about asking her.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "