Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 887

10 members and 877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 72,271
Threads: 246,281
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, xterling
    Thanks

pythons and dogs

hey guys, im pretty new to keeping pythons as pets, and just got my first ball python around 2 weeks ago. hes doing great, temps are great, and all that jazz. here is my question. i have two dogs. one is a lab/pit mix, and the other is a german short haired pointer. both of them are very inquisitive, and fairly intelligent. every time i have my snake out, they both just sit and stare at it. after i put him away, they just constantly sniff and lick my hands. now, how many of you have snakes and have dogs? have you ever introduced your snake to your dog? how long did it take to where they finally quit fussing over the snake?

Thanks
    I have 4 snakes, 3 ball pythons and 1 rosy boa, and 7 dogs, ranging in size from 6 lbs to 60 lbs. I personally never introduced the snakes to the dogs. I worry that the dog might make a curious bite to check it out and hurt it, or that the dog being close to the snake will stress the snake out. My little dogs that are 6 lbs and 9 lbs are allowed in the room when I have the snakes out, but only if I am holding the snakes, and the dogs have been taught to stay around 6 feet away when the snakes are in my hands. Just the way I do it

Thanks
    thats kind of what i plan on doing. i try to keep them away when i have the snake out, but they end up always sitting right at my feet staring up at him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I have snakes, geckos, a lizard, a dog and a cat. My cat worries me a lot more than my dog does. She likes to sit and study my snake rack, which makes me really worried. I scare her away from it when I see her there, but because it's in the living room and I work during the days I can protect them all the time. My dog only cares when I have my snakes out because he's not getting attention something else is. I have introduced my dog to a couple of my snakes, but ONLY ones that I know I can reasonably trust. All I do is let my dog sniff them and then I move the hand holding them away. I know my dog and I know he has not interest in my snakes other than to sniff them quickly so I'm not worried about him. He only cares about dog food, tennis balls and pets from mommy so a snake doesn't even fall on his radar as potentially interesting. I don't think I would introduce a dog to a snake if the dog seems interested in it. So long story short, I think it depends on the dog and the snake.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Re: pythons and dogs

Both my dog and my cat are trust worthy around the snakes (and even rats or mice), they just got used to the animals and all living together. I don't think I'd trust a strangers dog near any of my animals though.

Thanks
    i wouldnt trust my dogs around anything that is remotely rodent. they have gone after and successfully taken out a raccoon that was in the back yard, and tried to nip at my friends ferret. but i figured since this is a reptile, who knows.

Thanks

Re: pythons and dogs

If your dogs likes to chase things I don't think you want to introduce them to the reptiles. I'm a lucky girl to have found my animals and that they all get along so well. My dog likes to chase deer, well she did, now she kind runs a little bit and looks back at me as if to ask if she did good and gives up.