Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,950

0 members and 2,950 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Bad News is I'm minus a frog, good news is my snake is finally on F/T

Long time no see BP.net,
    So yeah, my pacman frog went the way of the toilet bowl, which is unfortunate, but this is my second one and I am starting to question horned frogs as a beginner species.
    On a more awesome note, my months long experiment worked out;
    I wanted my snake to take F/t rats, and the first time I tried she entirely ignored it. Before that she refused live, so I figured I had a feeding strike on my hands. I read all the threads I could find on BP feeding strikes (quite a few of those actually). They said to reduce handling, and let the snake be. I did periodic checks to make sure she didn't lose weight, and she didn't.
    I waited three months to even try to feed her again. I always had food at my disposal if her mood seemed to change. For three months she was pretty pissy, but after waiting so long to introduce another prey item to her I changed up my strategy.
    I let the rat thaw ontop of the screen of her tank close to heat lamp. To direct the smell down into the tank I covered it with a critter keeper. Right before I took the tank lid off I heated the rat (in a bag) in hot water, increasing the rat's temperature relative to the room's.
    She was in her hot hide when I danced the rat around her tank. The reaction was immediate and deliberate. Her head came out of the hide, entirely focused on the morsel in front of her. She hit that rat with more force than I thought she could produce with her 3lbs body, and dragged the whole rat back into her hide. She ate that rat in complete secrecy.
    So, now I am hoping that she'll start taking entirely to F/T. Figured I'd share
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Sorry about the frog, but congrats on the switch!
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)