Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

2 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking Meet Cleo - New Addition!! Rescue BP!

Found this cute girl on Craigslist for an awesome deal. Already have been planning to get her for the past couple days, and she finally arrived today! Honestly couldn't be happier. She is a very healthy, 877g normal female .

Her owner was so nice and kind. I am so glad to hear that she got her from such ignorant people. Here's how it goes:

The Ball python was claimed to be 6-years-old by her original owners. Although, even a 6-year-old male would not be as small and weigh 877g. When her most recent owner purchased her, the family drove 30 minutes in the middle of the day with the snake in the trunk. It was around 80F or so outside. Their reason: they did not want the snake by their baby and did not want the snake to give their baby salmonella. They had an entire backseat of their car where the snake could have safely been kept.

When the couple's baby was born two months previously to selling the snake, they stopped feeding and interacting with the snake except for filling up the water dish. The wife's reason: she did not want to catch salmonella by handling the snake and did not want to handle "gross" dead rats, as well as the "risk" of her baby catching salmonella. Have they ever heard of hand soap?? The snake ended up not being fed for two months. Her most recent owner told me that you could easily feel the ribs of the snake and it looked very skinny.

Another sad thing to tell, they used to throw in live rats and keep them in the enclosure until she took 'em. She has a few scars that have healed quite nicely. But that is still horrifying.. I cannot believe someone could be so careless..

Her last owner has had her for the past 5 months and wanted her to go to a really good home. She fattened up the snake very well -- I was told that she looks like a completely different snake than when she first arrived.

Her owner came by today and checked out my reptile room. She was very impressed with all the snakes and told me she had turned down 10-15 people that replied to her ad because they did not seem educated at all.

So here she is, happy in her new forever home! She is as calm as can be and not even head shy. She even already ate for me earlier! A nice medium/large rat at that. When I got back from a friend's house I popped the snake to be sure it's a female -- seems to be so far! I will have to have a second check after she digests her meal.. because her being said 6-years-old just doesn't seem to fit it. Unless they rarely fed her and kept her in a very small enclosure.. Although male or female, I will be glad to have her for her remaining days. Now for photos! She is in a 20g while I setup her tub.

Peek-A-Boo!

A few quick shots

Flash kinda fooled around with her coloration a little.

Hopefully she'll be participating in breeding for me this season if I can get her to slam down rats for the next few months.

I know this thread was lengthy, but stories of rescues are always fun.
    Tiff'z Morphz

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

KingPythons (07-28-2011),Kymberli (07-28-2011),Maixx (07-28-2011),PitOnTheProwl (07-28-2011),saber2th (07-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Congrats Tiff , you dun good
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (07-28-2011)

Thanks

Re: Meet Cleo - New Addition!! Rescue BP!

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Congrats Tiff , you dun good
    Thank you , I am completely satisfied with her. Fantastic that she didn't arrive to me sick.. That's a whole entire ordeal I had to go through when I got my Dumeril's girl.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Congrats. She looks good. I'm impressed that the person who sold her to you went to such lengths to find her a proper home. I wish everyone cared that much. I've had several animals just given to me without a single question asked. I'd appreciate someone taking the time to ensure I was giving their pet a proper home. For example, the four female rats I was given for free yesterday. Not a single question asked of me or my current pets or living situation. Luckily for them I'm an honest person, lol. Good job on giving this new girl a good home!
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (07-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    Congrats. She looks good. I'm impressed that the person who sold her to you went to such lengths to find her a proper home. I wish everyone cared that much. I've had several animals just given to me without a single question asked. I'd appreciate someone taking the time to ensure I was giving their pet a proper home. For example, the four female rats I was given for free yesterday. Not a single question asked of me or my current pets or living situation. Luckily for them I'm an honest person, lol. Good job on giving this new girl a good home!
    Thank you ! I'm extremely impressed as well. She definitely did care about where this snake was going. Totally agree with you! I just can't see how people turn their heads from a living thing. My Dumeril's was traded to me no questions asked about how she was going to be kept or anything. I'm so glad you gave all those animals a wonderful home; sometimes most animals being sold will go right back into another crappy situation.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Thank you ! I'm extremely impressed as well. She definitely did care about where this snake was going. Totally agree with you! I just can't see how people turn their heads from a living thing. My Dumeril's was traded to me no questions asked about how she was going to be kept or anything. I'm so glad you gave all those animals a wonderful home; sometimes most animals being sold will go right back into another crappy situation.
    Well the Dumerils and this BP definitely found a great home.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (07-29-2011)

Thanks
    I see so many cases like this in our local Herp society that it's good to see an ending like this.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maixx For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can't find a pretty girl like her right now. Your lucky!
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KingPythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Good job Tiff! She is a beautiful snake! I love when stories are happy like this! She should make you some beautfiul babies if she is indeed a female. What will you pair her with?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very nice. It's quite refreshing to hear that the person came to your house to check you out, and didn't just dump the snake there! I guess since she ate so quickly, she's a good feeder, so maybe you'll have her up to weight for breading after all!
    0.1 Black Labrador "Bella"
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared2608 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast