Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,068

1 members and 2,067 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Adopted four female rats today..

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    I greatly appreciate that! Thank you! Along with the list you've given me, I'll do more research on the does and dont's of table scarps. Works out nicely with the chicken though. The dogs can get the leftover meat and the rats can have the bones that I typically am forced to just throw away. I'll also attempt to remove the wheel just to provide them with more space since they don't need or use it, but it's going to be a difficult task. As I said before, the previous owners tightened it onto the cage ridiculously tight and stripped the screw that holds it together. Extra fun work for me.

I'm quite curious.. I'm not sure if it's just due to the thirty minute bumpy car ride home or the new surroundings, but they are quite skiddish and all but one of the Agouti refuse to come out of the igloo. I'm desperately hoping they become more comfortable and bond with me. Right now the only space I have for their huge cage is right next to my bed (which is simply a mattress on the ground due to the recent move from out of state), is it possible that being right next to me like this will help them become used to me quicker? I'll of course be handling them very often, but as of yet they are terrified of me and struggle to run back to their cage.
    Thank you for your tremendous amount of help, Michelle!
    I don't recall reading how long you've had them (sorry, half asleep), but give them a few days to settle in. They need time to adjust, even the most social rats will be shy for a few days.

Usually, when I'm trying to bond with new rats, I'll take a stool or whatever will put me at eye level and just set my hands on the bottom of the cage and let them come to me. Of course this is while handing them irresistible "nomnoms". It seems to do the trick most of the time. Even still, it can take weeks to win their trust. Just don't force them to do anything and you'll get there faster than you think.

When I win their trust enough for them to let me touch them, I play the "get the rats butt game". It seems to make them super happy, they jump around and chase your hand. I just make soft, happy noises and sorta just gently scratch above their tails. Once they start jumping around (like they've had too much coffee), you can move your hand around the cage like you are running from them (yes, your hand has become a rat) and they will chase. Eventually, they might even roll over on their back and let you get the rat bellies. It's hard to describe though, but the most important part is talking to them in a sweet/playful tone.

I usually get to the stage where they are wanting to play by using various toys. Especially the cat feather toys that are on the strings. Wild rats have a taste for birds and the feathers tickle, so it's an instant attention getter. Then just move the feather toy around their cage and make them chase it. Most will sucker into it and catch on that you are playing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (07-27-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    What i give my rats they seem to LOVE is pizza crusts, Peas, and Cheerios. And if i have spare hard boiled eggs ill toss them in with females that just had a litter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (07-27-2011)

Thanks

Re: Adopted four female rats today..

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    I don't recall reading how long you've had them (sorry, half asleep), but give them a few days to settle in. They need time to adjust, even the most social rats will be shy for a few days.

Usually, when I'm trying to bond with new rats, I'll take a stool or whatever will put me at eye level and just set my hands on the bottom of the cage and let them come to me. Of course this is while handing them irresistible "nomnoms". It seems to do the trick most of the time. Even still, it can take weeks to win their trust. Just don't force them to do anything and you'll get there faster than you think.

When I win their trust enough for them to let me touch them, I play the "get the rats butt game". It seems to make them super happy, they jump around and chase your hand. I just make soft, happy noises and sorta just gently scratch above their tails. Once they start jumping around (like they've had too much coffee), you can move your hand around the cage like you are running from them (yes, your hand has become a rat) and they will chase. Eventually, they might even roll over on their back and let you get the rat bellies. It's hard to describe though, but the most important part is talking to them in a sweet/playful tone.

I usually get to the stage where they are wanting to play by using various toys. Especially the cat feather toys that are on the strings. Wild rats have a taste for birds and the feathers tickle, so it's an instant attention getter. Then just move the feather toy around their cage and make them chase it. Most will sucker into it and catch on that you are playing.
    Great suggestions! I'll definitely try those once they've had more time to settle in. I just brought them home yesterday afternoon, so they're still quite shy. But wow.. once the lights were turned off last night they sounded like they were having a party in their cage. Even though they have ramps going from each level to the next inside this cage, I've noticed they enjoy jumping over them. I swear it sounds like they're doing "cannonballs" from each level to the one below. Nearly gave me a heart attack each time I started drifting off to sleep, lol.

I do hope they eventually are as playful as you've described. That is just too cute. I would absolutely love to have rats that did that.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123