Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Adopted four female rats today..

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Correct me if im worng, But Ive been told and read wheels for rats are not good. Something with their size and stress on the back when running. Any truth to this?

Welcome to the other addiction to reptile keeping. Rats....
    If someone has an answer to this, I'd love to know as soon as possible! I did try to take it off while cleaning because even if they did use it, it's way too small for them and I'm sure they get enough exercise climbing and jumping from level to level. I was unable to take it off because the previous owners stripped the screw and tightened it so much I have no clue how I'd get it off. But if there's a risk of them being injured I'll figure out a way to remove it or immobilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    Hehehehe, I just made my "dream rat". He's a rex, dumbo agouti. He's got a small flaw (English Marked), but other than that, he's perfect!

To me, Agouti Rats always seemed to have more personality, but maybe it's just me pulling favorites.

Anyway, lovely ladies! I'm sure you will enjoy them. Rats make such rewarding pets, even if you do decide to breed them to produce feeders. Neither are exclusive.
    Oh, I'd love to see a picture if that'd be possible! I absolutely love Rexes and would die to have one! Maybe I'll find myself a male Rex for these ladies. Unfortunately the closest breeder of rats that I know of is about seven hours away. The rat breeder I know of down the street from me only breeds standard black hooded for food purposes. If I breed for feeding, I want cute varieties.
    You may have a point there about the Agoutis having more personality. The Black Hoodeds have refused to come out of hiding but the two Agouti have been exploring all night.
    Last edited by Kymberli; 07-27-2011 at 02:41 AM.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    I like hairless rats. Not sure why.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Correct me if im worng, But Ive been told and read wheels for rats are not good. Something with their size and stress on the back when running. Any truth to this?

Welcome to the other addiction to reptile keeping. Rats....
    Technically, proper sized wheels are fine for rats. The wheel appearing in that photo is a little too small though. Overuse of wheels that are too small can cause "wheelie tail" and other spine issues. Although, Most rats aren't really impressed by wheels, so it's usually not much of an issue (unless they are bored).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (07-27-2011)

Thanks

Technically, proper sized wheels are fine for rats. The wheel appearing in that photo is a little too small though. Overuse of wheels that are too small can cause "wheelie tail" and other spine issues. Although, Most rats aren't really impressed by wheels, so it's usually not much of an issue (unless they are bored).
    I will try again this week to remove it because like I said above and you just stated, it definitely is too small. I just don't want to stress them out more right now. They've been quite skiddish since arrival, which I was told is unlike them so I'll be letting them calm down for a couple days other than giving the occasional treats. So far they only use the wheel to hide under and climb on top of.
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    I will try again this week to remove it because like I said above and you just stated, it definitely is too small. I just don't want to stress them out more right now. They've been quite skiddish since arrival, which I was told is unlike them so I'll be letting them calm down for a couple days other than giving the occasional treats. So far they only use the wheel to hide under and climb on top of.
    Grab a couple of cardboard boxes (Popcorn, Soda boxes, etc.) and toss them in for the rats to hide in. If you have the extra money, buy a couple of igloos and ferret tunnels. This will give them things to hide in to feel secure.

By the way, cat, bird, rabbit, ferret, etc. toys are perfect for rats. Many times I can find the cat toys (feather, jiggle balls, crinkle balls) for less than 50 cents. The rats seem to adore them and they are disposable so when you do a complete cage clean, you can toss them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (07-27-2011)

Thanks

Grab a couple of cardboard boxes (Popcorn, Soda boxes, etc.) and toss them in for the rats to hide in. If you have the extra money, buy a couple of igloos and ferret tunnels. This will give them things to hide in to feel secure.

By the way, cat, bird, rabbit, ferret, etc. toys are perfect for rats. Many times I can find the cat toys (feather, jiggle balls, crinkle balls) for less than 50 cents. The rats seem to adore them and they are disposable so when you do a complete cage clean, you can toss them.
    I'll toss a few more hides in there since their cage is so large, they do however have a huge igloo already in there. All four fit in there with extra space but they all cuddle up in one pile. Rather cute, I must say. The toy idea is great though! I just wasn't sure what material would be bad for the considering they typically chew anything you give them to bits. Also, I've seen people mention feeding table scraps to rats, such as chicken. I actually have a lot of fresh chicken scraps that I typically feed to my dogs but can give them. They're off of a whole chicken, so my question is are chicken bones bad for them or can those be given as chew treats as well?
    Last edited by Kymberli; 07-27-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP

Thanks
    I heard you can but don't take my word for it

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    I'll toss a few more hides in there since their cage is so large, they do however have a huge igloo already in there. All four fit in there with extra space but they all cuddle up in one pile. Rather cute, I must say. The toy idea is great though! I just wasn't sure what material would be bad for the considering they typically chew anything you give them to bits. Also, I've seen people mention feeding table scraps to rats, such as chicken. I actually have a lot of fresh chicken scraps that I typically feed to my dogs but can give them. They're off of a whole chicken, so my question is are chicken bones bad for them or can those be given as chew treats as well?
    If you have all of those hides in the cage, you can toss the wheel. It won't do anything to stress them out.

Table scraps are an excellent idea, but keep in mind there are certain things you should not feed them. I'll list a few off the top of my head, but you can do a search for a "do not feed list".

Chocolate
    Onions
    Fats (Including chicken and beef)
    Peanut Butter (they can choke)
    Carbonated Beverages
    Apple Seeds
    Raw Peanuts and Beans
    Blue Cheese (contains toxic molds)
    Poppy Seeds
    Raw Artichoke, Raw Red Cabbage, Raw Sweet Potato
    Brussel Sprouts
    Green Bananas
    Bitter Almonds

However, chicken bones are excellent. They give them something to chew on as well as being nutritious. Most fruits and veggies are safe too, but always remove the seeds. The only thing off the top of my head that is bad is Iceberg Lettuce and it's bad for everything.

I also make my rats a treat mix usually containing the following; Kashi Brand cereal, Total cereals, Puffed Millet, Puffed Rice, Puffed Wheat, Veggie Noodles, various nuts (I generally avoid peanuts), Rolled Oats, Cheerios, Grape Nut cereal, granola, and pretty much any other kind of grain that goes on sale that is healthy. I will also toss in a bag of mixed human grade seeds as well as a bag of high quality large parrot seed and a bit of high quality (low protein) senior/healthy weight dog food. I prefer Solid Gold Holistique Blendz.

This is on top of their lab block, of course. But honestly, if you are looking for a lower budget, just look for things on sale and remember, variety is key.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (07-27-2011)

Thanks
    I greatly appreciate that! Thank you! Along with the list you've given me, I'll do more research on the does and dont's of table scarps. Works out nicely with the chicken though. The dogs can get the leftover meat and the rats can have the bones that I typically am forced to just throw away. I'll also attempt to remove the wheel just to provide them with more space since they don't need or use it, but it's going to be a difficult task. As I said before, the previous owners tightened it onto the cage ridiculously tight and stripped the screw that holds it together. Extra fun work for me.

I'm quite curious.. I'm not sure if it's just due to the thirty minute bumpy car ride home or the new surroundings, but they are quite skiddish and all but one of the Agouti refuse to come out of the igloo. I'm desperately hoping they become more comfortable and bond with me. Right now the only space I have for their huge cage is right next to my bed (which is simply a mattress on the ground due to the recent move from out of state), is it possible that being right next to me like this will help them become used to me quicker? I'll of course be handling them very often, but as of yet they are terrified of me and struggle to run back to their cage.
    Thank you for your tremendous amount of help, Michelle!
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP

Thanks
    I think they are gorgeous, not crazy about the hooded, but still cute. Thanks for giving them a good home!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Evildrdee For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (07-27-2011)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast