Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

0 members and 2,900 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Argentine Black & White Tegus questions.

I was interested in this animal ever since I first saw one. I don't have space for one yet, but I can see myself getting one in the future. However I do have a few questions.

1. I'm aware of their huge enclosure requirements, however what price range am I looking at for a ideal setup?

2. After the buying tegu, cage, and the appropriate equipment, such as heat source and hide, are tegus expensive to keep?

3. I hear that they hibernate for 6 months or so. Is it ok to wake them up to handle them, or am I supposed to watch them sleep for half a year?

4. I've had a hard time finding a good caresheet on them. Is there any you guys would recommend?

5. Do they make good pet? Are they jumpy, or nervous around people and active surroundings?

Thanks
    Tegus ROCK! I want to keep them too someday, and am currently researching.

1- blue tegus are smallest and thus require the least amount of space. It depends on if you plan to build, or buy an enclosure. The cheapest seem to be cages made from livestock watering troughs made from galvanized steel. You can buy them at farm supply stores and they come in 6'.. maybe even 8' sizes.

2- tegus will eat a lot. Reds and argentine B&Ws require fruit high in vitamin C. Blue tegus are strictly carnivorous.. and smaller, so are a bit cheaper to feed. Most say UVA/UVB lighting is required, and tubes must be replaced every 6 months. Shop around for prices on those though.

3- I don't think they worry too much about the hibernation. I'm not so sure about this though.

4- Go here (awesome tegu forum/website): http://thetegu.com/ There are care sheets in the 'helpful info' page.

5- Tegus are VERY personable, and make a wonderful pet. I even hear of some that literally beg to come out and be with you! I can't think of another reptile that actually enjoys being touched. Babies can be scared though, so need to be worked with.

Here's a quote from one of their articles:
    'There are several levels to a tegus 'tameness', from being able to tolerate human contact to actually craving contact with people. (Note: My tegu responds by name, taps the enclosure walls when it wants to be held, walks to my hand when its in the enclosure and nudges me, loves to cuddle against my head/neck while on the back of the couch, etc.)'

Good luck!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanks shelby, now all I have to do is convince my mom..lol

Thanks
    Ah.. lol. I hope you have a big room/area.. and a nice mom.

I'd recommend raising feeder roaches if you want something with such a voracious appetite as a tegu.

April

Thanks
    I hear many let them free roam around the house. Is this ok? If so, are there any precautions one should take before letting them free roam?

Thanks
    Letting a tegu free range without a proper enclosure is foolish and asking for trouble.. not to mention what could happen to your dog/cat/little brother/sister if you have one. Tegus need proper temperatures and humidity just like any other reptile. Unless you plan on keeping your house around 90+ degrees, it's not going to work.

Now, what DOES work, is people letting their tegus explore the house while being supervised. Tegus like to dig, so don't become too attached to your carpet!

-but, that kind of free ranging can be stimulating to both tegu, and owner. Just use common sense.

April

Thanks
    Ahhh..common sense! Don't have too much of it, but I'll use what I have. Thanks Shelby. By the way, I love the Shelby mustang!

Thanks
    No comment on the mustang :p I prefer the Shelby Cobra.

I named my BP (who has died) Shelby.

April

Thanks
    You have good taste. Why did your ball die? Old age?

Thanks
    No unfortunately.. she got blister disease (I STILL don't know how.. or why..) and died a few weeks after I took her to the vet.. gave her 15 or so shots.. treated her 2x daily.. and cleaned out her cage 2x daily. It sucked.

April