Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,966

0 members and 2,966 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Lower Temps

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

Lower Temps

I was listening to the latest Reptile Radio show and they talk about housing BPs at lower temps (75-85) and how its associated with fewer/no slugs. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/reptile...ing-in-tonight

Here is my experience on this, grant it I don't produce hundreds of clutches, it does seen to support this info.

First off, last season we produced 7 clutches, 3 of them were all slugs. Those girls were housed in the middle and top drawers while the girls who laid the good clutches were in drawers 4, 5 and 6. I didn't write down temp because I didn't think to at the time. I do know however those drawers got into the low/mid 90s.

This season we moved to Colorado and it threw everyone off so I don't have as much info about it. Anyway, I moved the girls who were developing follicles to the lower drawers. We had two ovulations and one clutch was laid so far (2 fertile boob eggs and 4 slugs). They are both in drawer #5 of each rack. The temps run from 78-89.

My plan now is to drop the temps in the racks. Right now the highest temp in the top drawer gets to 93, highest temp in the bottom drawer is 86. The girls in bottom drawers both eat great also. I'm going to try getting the temps to stay between 75-85/86 in all the drawers.

As of right now our grow-up/male racks are at 78/81-86/89. I don't think I'll change the temps on those.

Just thought I'd share what I'm going to be trying this next year. And if anyone else has experience with lower temps please share.
    ~Jessica~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jsmorphs2 For This Useful Post:

mues155 (08-29-2011)

Thanks
    That's really interesting.

I don't have any actual experience with this, but for speculation's sake, it makes sense - the girls at lower temps will have a slower metabolism and so will 1) Use and lose less energy and by extension 2) have more to put into the eggs. Just my speculation on that idea. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out!
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Re: Lower Temps

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    That's really interesting.

I don't have any actual experience with this, but for speculation's sake, it makes sense - the girls at lower temps will have a slower metabolism and so will 1) Use and lose less energy and by extension 2) have more to put into the eggs. Just my speculation on that idea. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out!
    I can see what you mean by that. It make s a lot of sense. Should look into that this year! Keep track of your temps and hopefully youll get more good eggs this year
    Balls:
    0.1 Normal
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Het Albino
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Hypo
    1.2 Het Pied
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Bumblebee

Boas:
    1.1.1 Hogg Island Boas (pretzel, peanut, corky)
    1.2 Het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Het Snow Het Anery
    0.1 Anery Het Snow

Thanks

I don't have a lot of experience because this is my first year breeding. I have produced 29 eggs so far this year and have 3 females left to lay. Out of the 29 eggs 25 are good. I had 2 that were not fertile, one slug, and one boob egg that went bad. All the bad eggs came from a female on the top shelf. She also laid 2 good eggs. Two other females on the top shelf laid perfect clutches

I keep my snakes on the cooler side. My tubs hot spot ran 85-89 all winter with the other side being 70-75. I have my air set about 84 in the summer, so my tubs are a little warmer on the cool side in the summer. I removed all of my hides, so my females would be more likely to self regulate their body temperature.

I'm in full agreement with lower temps. I might lower mine a few more degrees this winter. I have around 20 females that are ready to breed this next season.

This may not work for everyone, but it is working for me so far!

Good Luck

Thanks
    You know, i have been told by 4 people so far, breeders. that i should not even bother with my heat tape since my room temps are around 77 and 85F at all times. Seems lately. i am going to try this or least have my hot spot at 88 and see how it goes.
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

Thanks
    I imagine in the wild a female would spend less time in the heat/basking if she was gravid.

Plus, I know that in the wild ball pythons breed in the rainy season--which is around February to April. January is supposedly the hottest month in west africa so I guess that would mean the real breeding takes place starting in the Fall and entering Winter... So honestly the BPs would be experiencing cooler temps in the wild. It really makes sense that cooler temps would help egg development. They breed during that time on purpose, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    I imagine in the wild a female would spend less time in the heat/basking if she was gravid.

Plus, I know that in the wild ball pythons breed in the rainy season--which is around February to April. January is supposedly the hottest month in west africa so I guess that would mean the real breeding takes place starting in the Fall and entering Winter... So honestly the BPs would be experiencing cooler temps in the wild. It really makes sense that cooler temps would help egg development. They breed during that time on purpose, right?
    I do not know many people who would wanna breed when all sweaty and sticky
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me