Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,235

1 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Why won't my boys eat??

Here's the deal, in short:
    About two weeks ago we moved all of the snakes, due to my parents losing their house. Three of the snakes (two BP's, one corn snake) went with me to the new apartment; two snakes (one bp, one corn snake) went with Max to his mom's house.
    My suspected female BP "Madison" and both the male and female corn snake are eating just fine, since the first time we offered them food after the move.
    My two definite male BP's, Nergal and Cleo, have been refusing food.
    Nergal usually eats mice, and Cleo rats; I'm going to try switching the food they usually eat to see if it helps. If that doesn't work, I might consider an ASF for Cleo; he's eaten one before, and he's still looking skinny. I'm not able to get him the fecal test like I wanted to, the vet is being too complicated about all of this. >:/ So I don't know why he keeps looking so skinny, but him not eating for two weeks now isn't making him look better.
    Madison hasn't gained any weight either.
    Anyway, so here's my problem: I would normally think that the snakes are stressed, except for the fact that my female bp and both corns are eating just fine. It's just starting to get warm here (70'2-80's, drops into the 60's or lower at night easy), as it's been a cold summer thus far in Washington.
    I've been keeping all the snakes at my apartment nice and warm, all at the same temp, but Cleo is the only one here who will not eat, of two bp's and one corn.
    Nergal is at Max's, and the temps there are a bit lower because his mom insists upon opening the window, which lets in a nice draft. :/ So we're going to get a lamp for him, but regardless, he's not wheezing, no bubbles, acting fine, so I don't think he has an RI (though I'm not taking any chances with that window being open).
    what could cause them to not eat? This is the first feeding strike ANY of my snakes have ever been on that has lasted more than one week.
    Both boys cruise their tanks all day and night, and seem interested when I'm heating up the food, but once I offer it to them the only way they'll acknowledge it is by acting afraid of it, real jumpy and scared.
    We didn't change their tank setups or substrate.
    Is it just coincidence that both boys are not easting, or could it be hormones?
    Any advice/thoughts are appreciated. I'll keep offering no more than once per week, just in case they get hungry, but...
    Thanks guys.
    Shellie
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    It really just depends on the snake. A move can really stress them out cause them to not eat.
    I would give it a couple weeks and try feeding again.
    Some of my males will fast for a few months as well. So dont get too worried yet.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mues155 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (06-27-2011)

Thanks
    depending on how smooth the move was it shouldnt cause a problem so id say its just them being bps...now if the move wasnt smooth and you had them too cold or warm for unusual periods of time then that might be the problem and id just wait till they acclimate to the new surroundings as its new to them...and by that i mean their temps and stuff within their enclosure. good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deathadder1069 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (06-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    As stated moving can be very stressful. That certainly can be one cause. I can't speak to your corn I really know very little about them. I have two ideas about you royals that might or might not be it over the moving stress.

If I remember correctly from other posts you have made you balls are close to adults now (at least the males)? Wild Royals lay within a short period of time all of them there IS an enviromental trigger the problem is it is to the best of my reading no one has diffinatly settled what it is. It could be a temperature thing or a pressure thing hard to say but it is possiable that the move has altered the right or combination of elements to trigger a breeding season and cause a fast. Just a thought.

The second is you mentions no weight gain or low weight gain. I have had to deal with this lately so it is in my mind don't freekout is is a long shot. I have a Royal that has always been fed frozen/thawed her whole life, I know the breeder well and in this case he is 100% sure that she has only had frozen. She is a great feeder but has been small tiny really as she was a twin and has other issues this wasn't a massive alarm bell. She stopped pooping and then started to be a sluggish feeder so off to the vet she went. The end result is she had tapeworms. Apparently it takes at the very least 48 hours and safer 72 hours at -7ºC (19ºF) to kill all traces of tape worms eggs. I had my freezer at -5ºC and at least once got fresh frozen (less than 8 hours dead) rats and feed then the next day. This also could be a cause, fecal exams are not super costly about 40$ it might be worth it if everything else checks out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (06-28-2011)