Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,799

0 members and 2,799 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Baby boa feeding

hey guys i was just wondering if a baby boa super small wont eat if the prey item is to big and if its stressed i had him in a 20gal tank but just moved him into a 12 quart tub ive had him for 2 weeks and ive treid feeding him 2 F/t rat pups and 1 live mouse next time im going to try feeding a rat pinkie surprisling without eating hes gained 2 grams?

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    He might be stressed. Did you give him a week or so to calm down before feeding? Or handling? Baby boa's often use hides as well so make sure he has on of those. You may want to try live until he is an established feeder for you and then switch to FT. Give him a rat hopper or mouse that is the same size or only slightly larger than his widest part so when he eats it you will see a small bulge.

Thanks

Re: Baby boa feeding

How old and how big? Pics would definitely be beneficial in posts like this, however I have baby boas that are a little over a month old. I gave them a day or two to settle in and started them on fuzzy f/t mice (all my boas eat f/t), one of them takes them like their going out of style and the other takes some enticing sometimes but eats every time too. Maybe try putting the snake in a small bin or paper bag with a f/t fuzzy and leave it alone for a little while and see if that helps? I have a couple boas that won't eat without privacy, from what I've noticed with my baby boas is they won't eat if the prey item is way too big for them. Good luck hope this helps you a out little and post some pics lol