Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 633

1 members and 632 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Snails?

Thanks

Snails?

I've been interested in breeding feeders even though I don't really have anything right now that would eat some of the stuff. Well I have seen on some care sheets where they say you can feed the critters such as blue tongued skinks snails. Now my question is are these terrestrial snails or aquatic snails that are ok to feed to herps? Also what species is reccomended to feed? Thank you for your time.
    Ball Pythons:
    Pastel 1.0.0

Thanks
    cluturing snails can be tricky. some snails breed really easily in aquaria but they don't get very big. apple snails are large and can be bred relatively easy but you need a special set up. you can't really do it in a normal aquarium because they lay eggs out of the water. it also takes a while to get stocks up. they sell snail in a can which might be a better option.

Thanks

Re: Snails?

Thank you Lucas339. I figured they wouldn't reproduce and grow super quick. Truth be told I kind enjoy raising feeders as much as the pets I have. So raising snails would just be another challenge or fun thing to try. But if I was ever to get a herp that eats snails i'm taking it that the aquatic version is the ones i would use. Hmm apple snails never really thought about them. Would ramshorn snails also work? Thank you for your reply and any in the near future.
    Ball Pythons:
    Pastel 1.0.0

Thanks
    not sure on those. i just know of the apple snail. we have someone here at work that cultures them for a everglades renourishment project. The apples have a good size to them and produce a ton of babies. you just have to raise them up. it would be a fun project! mollusk are what i mainly work with.

here is a little tip on figure out set ups, food requirements and such. do a google scholar search on apple snail culture. im pretty sure you can find some information on culturing them. i know a little about the set up but not enough to tell you what to feed the babies and how to keep them from getting sucked down the drain. they are direct developers so they don't have a planktonic larvae.

good luck and post pics if you do this!!

Thanks
    I know you can buy snail eggs online for super cheap because some snails lay thousands at a time.

Other than that, I have no info. Check ebay.
    It would probably be better to have them ship in the fall though, or they'll be cooked when they arrive.