Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

1 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Need advice from Anaconda keepers :)

Just a gist, I'm based in Manila (aka, retics are considered native fauna) I've kept afrocks, retics, ground boas and ball pythons and I'm deliberating on my next acquisition for december. Just hope I could get a few Q's on anaconda husbandry in general.

1) NERD's caresheets indicated the same humidity maintenance for anacondas and retics, although it did mention that yellow anacondas are more "tolerant of a dryer environment". Since I keep my python enclosures in my room (no AC), would I have any issues with anacondas? Or should I regularly mist their enclosures? I originally considered a blood python or even a BRB but I decided against it because it is said that they are not so forgiving with the Philippine climate. Is the same true for either anacondas?

2) as far as personality(ies) is/are concerned, how would anacondas (either green/yellow) compare to say....the retic or afrock? Are they easier to "train" compared to retics/afrocks? or roughly just the same?

3) in my experience, I've had ZERO feeding issues with retics and my lone afrock. can I expect the same from either anaconda?

4) which anaconda is considered "easier" to care for when it comes to husbandry, feeding and training?

thanks in advanced

1.0 Dwarf Philippine Island Retic (Crixus)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Achilles)
    1.0 miniature werewolf...lol...he's a cross bet. a Daschund and a Shih Tzu (Koda)

Once you go Retic, you get the best pick!

Thanks

Re: Need advice from Anaconda keepers :)

1. AC actually decreases humidity, it causes air circulation which decreases humidity so if ur pythons don't have issues u shouldn't with the anaconda, I'm not sure about the greens tho although if u have appropriate husbandry for the green ie large water source humidity should not be an issue.

2. Don't have a retic or af rock, but my yellow annie has a moderate temperament, when I first got him he bit the guy who got him out of the cage 4 times in less then a minute, he has only bit me once while I was trying to get him in a carry bag, he is very flighty for the first 5-10 minutes of handling, but calms down after that, and I've held him almost every day since I got him, don't know about greens

3. Once again don't know about greens but my yellow ate ft from day one and has not missed a meal since I've had him, he even at my normal balls rat in addition to his, my normal I guess wasn't hungry

4. Husbandry I would say yellow just cuz u have a couple options vs with a green, ie large water source or just drinking water, personally I give my yellow a tub to get in in his enclosure, he loves it, and because greens get much bigger so that equals bigger enclosure, not sure what kind of humidity greens need but supposably the yellows can tolerate what retics and burms usually stay in, feeding seems fine, and I'm not really sure how u train a snake or what u would train them to do other then be held

This is my own experience with my yellow, haven't ha him long so other veterans might flame me on something but I've done my research, which btw is hard to find alot on the annies but it's there just go for it,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dryates For This Useful Post:

retic720 (06-22-2011)

Thanks
    If its a captive bred snake you should not have a problem with it eating or its temper. Every snake can be nippy when young but most grow out of it.And if for some reason you do have a problem with eating try chicks they dont usually refuse those
    Last edited by Denial; 06-23-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks

I've kept greens and yellows, and retics and afrocks. All are the same as far as "training" goes, as long as you know how to establish trust. Once established, and proper protocols are adhered to, you have nothing to worry about.

Housing/temps/humidity all about the same. Ensure water container large enough for soaking.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

I keep my yellow currently in a 4' boaphile. (he is still relatively young).
    I spray (mist) him maybe once every 3 days VERY LIGHTLY. His humidity is 60% on low days and 75-85% on a average day.

With condas, just watch the heat, they dont like as much BPs, or retics...
    My boy soaks himself rarely, and is very manageable.

However, i would never trust this animal with anyone other than myself.
    I have worked with him since he was a month old, and 5 inches long, and he still gives me love nips every once in a blue moon when he gets spooked.

There is no such thing as a easy conda, but they are defiantly rewarding to work with.

They are nothing like retics, or afrocks IMO.
    Can be picky eaters, mine sure was as a hatchling, but now i cant keep foot away from him.

I love yellows, so i went with them. Go with what you like, and what you can properly take care of.
    Both are great.
    Last edited by FIEND_FO_LYFE; 06-26-2011 at 06:06 AM.