Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

1 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

!!!! Mite help !!!!!

so i got my snake about a week and a half ago and i went back to the place where i got it and while i was there i held one of the other bps and it had mites....so i come home and look at my snake and i think she has em too...i can see a dark black dot under a scale on the bottom of her head...how do i treat this...by the way i think something needs to be done with this petshop anyways cuz it is nasty...all water dishes had poop caked in em ...some cages had a day or two old regurgitated mice in em the cages were nasty all together...what should i do?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I would stay away from that store from now on.

To treat the mites, buy Provent a Mite (http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59), and until that comes in I'd switch the substrate to paper towels. Change them daily, and give daily soaks in luke warm water. Use the Provent a Mite as described on the can and you should be mite free in days. Good luck!
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: !!!! Mite help !!!!!

I second the suggestion for Provent-A-Mite, accept no substitutes as they could possibly be dangerous for your snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    You're preaching to the choir here, as far as the shop goes.

As fir your mites, try soaking her in a tub if tepid water, with a couple drops od dawn dish detergent. Soak for 150-30 minutes. If you see lots of pepper in bottom of container, you got mites.

Order a can of Provent-A-Mite, clean and spray according to instructions.

Good luck
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just wondering, if the pet shop is so bad, why did you reward them by buying your snake there?

Because as long as people "rescue" animals from there, it will just free up a spot for them to fill with another critter.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Well this my first snake and I didn't really know what to look for but now I do and won't make that mistake again

Thanks
    Justin i was in EXACTLY the same boat as you no more than a week ago. That's what prompted me to join this forum. I made the mistake of buying from a small petstore i'd been to MANY times before, and was real friendly with the staff, etc, only to find out they really had no idea how to raise a baby ball. But after doing all the stuff people said on this forum, the mites are gone, and my baby is doing much better and seems happier (although it's hard to tell lol). Hope she feels better soon!