Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,489

1 members and 3,488 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

A headache ball python

Here's a little story of the ball python that could!

I hatched this female out back in April of '09. She has been a headache every since! An acquaintance of mine worked for an importer/exporter in town. That month, they imported a ton of adult gravid balls. They were selling them as such but some started laying eggs. They didn't have an incubator so they were just going to hope for the best. I asked about buying a clutch or two and they sold me a clutch for $20. They thought the clutch was just laid but it seemed older than they thought to me. The eggs were dry and didn't look too great. I took them home and put them in the incubator but they all went bad quickly. They then gave me a second clutch that had been laid that day. It was a 5 egg clutch 2 of which went bad quickly. The other 3 i thought were good up until I cut them. Only 1 of the animals was alive in the egg and it was this female:

I was excited for 2 reasons. One, this was my first ever snake that I hatched and two, her pattern and color are really nice (IMO). This animal took 2 months to go into her first shed! After the first month, I started offering food. She never took anything. I tried every combo you could think of once a week from mice, rats, ASF, braining ect. I ended up force feeding her to jump start her. After a few force feedings (2 or 3 i think), she shed and started taking food on her own but is still took a few weeks. In the end, she took a ASF hopper with the lights out and me hiding but not right away. It took 3 feedings like this for her to actually take it. The first feeding she would strike at it in defence a few times. The second one she actually hunted it. The third, things fell into place.

The story doesn't stop there! A year later she was having issues defecating in that it was a few months since she had gone. Sometimes, not an issue but I could see swelling in the tail area just before the vent. I started to feel around and I could feel hard urates in her. Now, at this time I had about 10 balls and kept them all the same way, same condition. She was in a rack with 4 others (seperate tubs of course). None of the other ones gave me any issues like this so I am discounted a husbandry issue at that time. I was able to work out the hard urate and she defecated. Things were fine for a few months. Everything normal. She defecated a few times with no issues. Then she developed it again. I started to soak her this time to see if that would help. After a week of soaking every day and her not passing anything, I decided to work out the urates again by hand.

After the second time I decided to change up her tub. Hard urates are either a sign of dehydration or kidney issues. I feed f/t that have been thawed in water. I offer the feeders soaked not dry to add water to my animals system. And of course she had a water bowl filled at all times. So I didn't think it could be a humidity issure. She even shed in one piece everytime. I kept her on news print like all my other balls. I decided to switched her to cyrpess and misted it once a month to see if an increased humidity would help. It worked and every thing fine until this month.

I just switched her to a larger tub. She went into shed and her head and throat swelled up. I was not worried because my GTP does this sometimes (head swelling....not throat though). It looks really freaky if your not used to it. She shed, and the swelling went down. I fed her, and the swelling came back the day after feeding. I looked her over really good and there was not excess mucus or labored breathing no bubbles or any other signs of a possible RI. I looked over my records and saw that she hadn't defecated in about a month. This is normal for her so I wasn't too worried. I bumped her temps up and waited to see if the swelling would go down. After a few days, it still didn't so I inspected her even closer. I decided to bump the humidity up to see if she would go on her own as she was looking a bit plump. I didn't feel hard urates like before so I figured she would be ok oh her own. She defecated and the swelling went down immediately. I checked her really close this morning and checked her stool (just looked) and everything looked normal. No swelling, the stool was normal in consistency, and the urates weren't super hard as they were before.

This animal hatched in 09 and is just now 500 grams. She has been problem free for about a year but then this month she gave me issues again.

Anyone else have stories like this for their animals?
    Last edited by Lucas339; 06-10-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Holy cow she was a lot of work! I don't have any that were that much of a headache thank heavens!

Thanks
    With the swelling around the different parts of her body and trouble producing BM's or Urates in the beginning and now I would guess their is some sort of malfunction in her body. Do you have a reputable reptile vet in your area? I would take her in for a "check up" explain what has been going on and let the vet see her "healthy" then the next time there is an issue you can take her in and the vet can see the difference and maybe be able to diagnose what is going on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I still have that 07 female thats right at 700g lol, I feel for ya though
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: A headache ball python

She's a beautiful Ball! Right now I suppose I'm having the problem of my Blood not pooping.... . She hasn't really pooped in months, can't wait for that big surprise once she does.. LOL...
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    She's gorgeous! I'm glad you have been able to give her the attention she needs.

As for a story, I have nothing out of the ordinary with snakes, but I do with my newest miniature donkey foal..
    I've been breeding and selling miniature donkeys for a few years, but have recently downsized my heard due to financial issues. I have the first two females I had ever purchased and my pride and joy, my gorgeous stud. My oldest female breeder is 10+ years (would have to look in my records to find out exact age), she's given me some of the most gorgeous foals I've seen over the few years I've had her and was bred many times before I purchased her from the breeder in Texas. She's never given me any problems until recently. For a few months I had my herd boarded with someone else. I sold a few to the woman watching them then allowed her to sell off everyone but these three. Under this woman's care, they continued to be bred and my female ("Dulce") ended up having a very stressful miscarriage. I attempted breeding her again after they were moved back with me and given a break. She took but she did not give birth until around month 14 (gestation is 11-14 months, usually 11) so I was worried. Her foal was born with crooked legs, a terrible under-bite, and for some reason is unable to keep his tongue inside his mouth. Even my vet was unable to explain why this could happen, though it does occasionally pop up even with horses. Regardless, I decided to retire Dulce as a breeder.
    Now, this foal has given me more trouble then any I've had. He's unable to properly nurse and his teeth have not come in enough to attempt to eat solid food. At three weeks old he was a third the size of his half-brother and looked near death. I had the choice of humanely euthanizing him or giving him caffeine pills daily, as prescribed by my vet, to boost his energy and feeding response and force feeding him with a syringe. Clearly, I had to give him a chance at life. Every feeding is a constant struggle. It typically goes along the lines of me being kicked multiple times, him spitting half of the food back out, then shoving his face in dirt when he gets a chance.
    Who knows if he'll ever be capable of eating on his own.

Sorry for the long story, but you asked for it.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    that sucks kymberli!! and don't worry, my story was longer lol!