Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,533

2 members and 3,531 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Repti Shelter 3 in 1?

Hello.. I was thinking about getting one of these
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-...c=2&category=7
    Has anyone had any experience with them? Looks like a decent hide/humid hide
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Repti Shelter 3 in 1?

I used those when I was keeping my snakes in tanks. They work great as humid hides. My snakes loved them! If you can, see if you can look at one in the store before you order online. The difference between small/medium/large is crazy.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

If its a ball python you want to put in it you need to get the largest one, just a heads up the others are entirely too small...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    If its a ball python you want to put in it you need to get the largest one, just a heads up the others are entirely too small...
    It really depends on the size of the ball python. An adult/sub-adult needs the large, but that's probably too big for hatchling/juvenile. I only had 2 snakes when I kept them in tanks and I used the large for my adult female and the medium for my little male who was around 150-200 grams then and that was little big for him. They are much larger if you don't completely fill in the bottom portion.
    Last edited by Kinra; 06-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Yeah.. my little girl is on 90g right now.. I dont really want to buy a medium and then have to buy a large later on.. then again.. if I ever get another juvenile ill have the right size for it..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Python View Post
    Yeah.. my little girl is on 90g right now.. I dont really want to buy a medium and then have to buy a large later on.. then again.. if I ever get another juvenile ill have the right size for it..
    I know what you mean, they are a little on the expensive side. You might be able to get away with really filling the hide, but that might not work out to well. They are great to have and if you do get a medium it will take her a little while to out grow it.

Another thing you could do to save money would be to make your own humid hides with plastic containers. I've given up on buying hides, I just use plastic sandwich containers for most of my bps since they are still small. Cut a whole it in, melt the edges with a lighter and paint, cheap and easy. They don't look very pretty, but they get the job done.
    Last edited by Kinra; 06-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I know what you mean, they are a little on the expensive side. You might be able to get away with really filling the hide, but that might not work out to well. They are great to have and if you do get a medium it will take her a little while to out grow it.

Another thing you could do to save money would be to make your own humid hides with plastic containers. I've given up on buying hides, I just use plastic sandwich containers for most of my bps since they are still small. Cut a whole it in, melt the edges with a lighter and paint, cheap and easy. They don't look very pretty, but they get the job done.
    I used a tupperware container, but the problem is that it is clear.. and she doesnt use it.. Im guessing being clear sort of negates it being a hide huh..haha.. I didnt have anything else around the kitchen.. I hear ya about saving the money.. but the rock hide just looks cool and seems more like something they might have in the wild.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Python View Post
    I used a tupperware container, but the problem is that it is clear.. and she doesnt use it.. Im guessing being clear sort of negates it being a hide huh..haha.. I didnt have anything else around the kitchen.. I hear ya about saving the money.. but the rock hide just looks cool and seems more like something they might have in the wild.
    You can paint the tupperware container, just make sure you use non-toxic paint and let it air dry for a few days. That will make her happier.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Just a word of caution, especially if your snake gets unbelievably huge or if you are getting the smaller sizes. There have been stories of snakes getting trapped in those holes and not being able to get out until you break them.. So do keep watching on the size of the snake relative to that hole the moment it starts touching something on both sides I'd get a bigger one. But they do make good humid hides, just make sure they are regularly cleaned. I forgot to scrub all of them down regularly and merely changed the substrate/moss inside and I ended up getting mold in them. Scary!

Thanks

I've seen those before, and they look really nice, like they've got some good weight to em too. The only thing is the price tag... 80 bucks for hides for one adult is too much for me! I wish they carried them in stores around me so I could check em out in person, cos they might be worth it...