Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

1 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

"IR" heat bulb??

I have an "IR" heat lamp and an UTH to keep the temps right in my enclosure, but after researching more about the BP, I am becoming more confused about the "IR" side of things.

Is an "IR" heat bulb appropriate for a BP? It had a picture of a BP on it, but that doesnt really mean it should be used for one. Is it truly "IR" in the first place? It puts off a low level red glow..

BP's can see/sense into the IR range, so I was wondering if this would be stressful?

Ive noticed that although the temps are in the correct range 75-89ish from one end to the other.. My BP has been chilling the majority of the time in her hide, even the few times ive check on her at night..Kinda sticks her head out a bit.. Shes been eating fine..just not roaming much..

THoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: "IR" heat bulb??

Sounds like its working to me. That's exactly how 98% of ball pythons behave.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Sounds like its working to me. That's exactly how 98% of ball pythons behave.
    haha... fair enough.. Being new to the BP world, I guess im a bit of an over protective parent. On a brighter note.. my girlfriend finally built up the courage to touch her last night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The bulb you have is dark red and give a deep red glow if I am getting what you mean. The only issue with this type of bulb is it isn't as efficient as a IR only bulb ( some energy is given to produce visible light as we understand it that is a by product, all lights produce varying amounts of IR) that as far as humans can see has no light there are usually made from ceramic (ceramic heat emitter or CHE) CHE give of true IR that a ball P can 'see' with the heat pits (the heat pits are connected to the optical centre of the brain so it is also processed as vision) The red bulb is full IR but also near ir we humans can see near IR but not full or true ir. The ball python see both so there is no difference to the snake.

Thanks
    So i was wrong, the box doesnt have a picture of a BP on it... this is the model I bought, but it is 75w..

http://http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3993404

So, just to clarify.. if this bulb is on 24/7 on a dimmer to get temps right.. Will it stress my BP?
    Last edited by Royal_Python; 06-07-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Python View Post
    So, just to clarify.. if this bulb is on 24/7 on a dimmer to get temps right.. Will it stress my BP?
    No. They may "see" the heat with their heat pits (no one really knows how the heat signals translate in their brains) but that is still different from seeing the visible light spectrum with their eyes. A bright white light would stress it out. It can't see the red light (even though it may sense the heat) so there's no reason for the light to cause stress.

Folks have been successfully warming ball python enclosures with red bulbs for decades. They may play havoc with your humidity levels, but they won't bother the snake.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    No it will not stress them at all. They require heat and are able to see heat so no it really is no different than anything else.

On a side note I am really fascinated by the vision we know the the nerves from heat pits are connected to the optical nerves and then to optical centres of the brain. How the visual and temperature signals are over laid can only be guessed at. But their sensitivity to heat is much finer than the thermometers that 99% of keepers use. They are absolutely fascinating creatures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    They are absolutely fascinating creatures.
    Agreed! Thanks for the answers everybody!