Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

0 members and 2,924 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: !!!new ball python owner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hatton View Post
    i bought from a small petstore...like a small family owned one i think...definately not petsmart or petco so i think im ok...and i just got him/her home and got her in the tank but its is all over it...it will go halfway into its hides then back out of them then explore the tank some more and looks as if it is trying to esxcape then itll go back in the hide halfway then back out...is this normal behavior and y wont it go all the way in the hide?...but either way i am super excited and will upload some pics soon i think it is just a normal ball but the guy at the shop said she might have a pinstripe gene but idk about the morphs and all that.
    It's either a pinstripe or it's not, and if you bought it as a normal chances are it is. If the store told you it may have a pinstripe gene, I'd say you might not be all set. As far as the behavior, if you moved to japan shipped in a box, and then placed in a home you've ever seen before, you'd explore right? That's all he's doing, just leave him alone, I'd say if he's not hiding or relaxing within a few hours then you should double check your husbandry. Pics would be helpful
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    ya likei said i dont know nothing bout the morphs...but he seems healthy and i watched it eat before i bought it so im not too worried...he was really active in the tank at the shop compared to the others as well which is why i picked that one...but i got some of the coconut hides from petsmart and he is about 12 to 18 inches long and a couple months old maybe...do you think the hides are too small?
    and ya i guess your right bout the whole exploring thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Activity during the day is generally a sign of stress, if he was active at the shop during the day they probably don't have the best husbandry for their animals. They like tight fitting hides, saying how long he is won't help us determine if it is too big/too small. How many grams is he? If he can fit in the hide with all his sides touching the inside of the hide, it's a good fit. If the hide is too large they won't feel secure and chances are they won't use it. Maybe try blacking out the sides and back of the tank, it will help with security. I use black Con-tact paper from Home Depot.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm getting my first BP in a few weeks....will tag along to see how your doing.

Kevin Bullis
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hatton View Post
    ya likei said i dont know nothing bout the morphs...but he seems healthy and i watched it eat before i bought it so im not too worried...he was really active in the tank at the shop compared to the others as well which is why i picked that one...but i got some of the coconut hides from petsmart and he is about 12 to 18 inches long and a couple months old maybe...do you think the hides are too small?
    and ya i guess your right bout the whole exploring thing.
    Let him explore, and he should settle down soon. He might not know yet that the hides you put in there are "hides" for him, if he's used to another one. Let him explore and figure things out.
    My girl Loki comes out at night and just tears up her tank, trying to pull down the fake leaves and knocking over all the plants. She occasionally comes out of her hide if there's a lot of noise or activity in my room; you might wanna check the volume of traffic or noise where you set him up.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks

My advice to you is: Do what everyone here is saying. Take things slow. You have a healthy ball, thats awsome! I wish I had that opportunity for me to have gotten a healthy one! I end up with rescues! lol. I just have a big heart I guess. Just remember, give the lil one some time to adjust to you & its surroundings. Make user your TV and Radio arent too close if you like to blast them I like do. lol. My lil ball doesnt like the TV up loud since his tank is right next to it now.

BTW xFenrir LOVE the name of your snake! lol. Loki is an AWESOME name! lol.
    I am new to this whole thing of keeping my awesome Snake Loki & their bro Chin.
    My rescues:

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python - (Loki)

1.0 Chin Chin Pu PimpChillia- Chincillia Standard (RIP 3/30/2011)

My QT:

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python - Naga

Thanks
    Usually not much difference between small pet store and big ones as far as where they come from. Most pet stores buy imported babies from wholesale dealers. The fact that they told you it may have some pinstripe tells me they don't really know what they are talking about.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks
    He has settled down and is hiding behind the fake plants and the guy that told me he had pinstripe said he was a salt water fish guy...but the reptile guy said that he was wrong and didn't know what he was talking bout...i feel confident that this guy knows what he is taking about I an going to get some more stuff to clutter his tank more...ne one got some cool name that could be for males or females since I don't know what the sex is

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    Congrats on your first Ball! Trust me, it won't be your last.
    i wish someone would have told me before i got mine lol congrats on the first ball
    1.0 black pastel dh ghost clown 'Ezio'
    1.0 "dinker" 'Coco'
    1.0 pastel lesser het clown 'Link'
    1.0 enchi het albino 'Master Chief'
    1.0 sable het hypo 'Sephiroth'
    1.0 bumblebee het hypo 'Leon'
    0.1 lesser het ghost 'Zelda'
    0.1 Mojave 'Tifa Lockhart'
    0.1 normal dh ghost clown 'Sophia'
    0.2 normal 'Baby' & 'Yuna'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12