Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 501

1 members and 500 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatchling Care

Thanks

Re: Hatchling Care

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    What do you do when you have waited two long months for baby snakes, and all of a sudden they are actually there???

Heads are poking out of shells, but you are not sure what to do after they come out!

Well, here's what I do.

1) Wait until they hatch out. This seems like an obvious thing, but honestly, don't freak out until they are actually out of the egg.

2) Rinse the babies off individually, as when they hatch out, they tend to be covered in goo. You don't need soap, just water.

3) Set up the tubs. I like to put each clutch in together until they all shed, for record taking purposes as well as a space saving technique. The tubs should be lined with paper towels lightly misted with water to make the humidity nice and comfortable for the new little ones. I put my babies in hatchling tubs, which equate to shoebox size.

4) Wait until they shed. This will take from 5-14 days, depending on the baby. Some shed faster than others, but if they DO NOT shed, this can indicate a problem with the baby itself. I tend to wait a few weeks, and if it hasn't shed, that's when the baby goes on "danger watch".

5) Feeding: After they shed, split them all up, sex them if you haven't already (some people sex babies out of the egg...I know I do), and put them in individual tubs. Give them a day or two to acclimate to being alone, and then attempt to give them food. Some people start with rat crawlers, some people start with mouse hoppers. I try the rats first, and if they do not take in a few feedings, I switch to mouse hoppers. Mouse hoppers are candy to babies, and they usually do the trick, but I prefer my babies on rats primarily, so I tend to avoid the use of them unless necessary. If that doesn't work even with the mouse hoppers, try giving the babies less space... Put some crumpled paper towels in the tub with the babies to give them the sensation of being able to hide. Leave them be for 3-5 days, and try again with a mouse hopper.

Force-feeding is something I do not enjoy doing, nor do I think should be a resource unless absolutely necessary. Final resort, so to speak. If the baby is not eating after a couple of months out of the egg, I would suggest considering force-feeding. This is a very stressful process for the snake, so take that with a grain of salt. Take the back of the head of the baby, open up the jaws slightly, and gently force the DEAD small food item (mouse pink, usually) into the jaws to the point where the baby cannot push it out. Put it back in the tub and wait to see if the baby attempts to swallow it or not. Be very careful, because as I said, this is traumatic for the snake, and can be unsuccessful.

6) Problems... With hatchlings, there are plenty of problems that can arise. Hard bellies, deformation, attached umbilicus. If you do see these problems, do a search on them to see what other people have done. These are all very specific and exhaustive topics, so I'm not going to go into them individually, but realize that yes, they can happen, and yes, you should be prepared.

7) ENJOY THEM! Hold them if you want, love them if you want, but know that this is the snake's infant period, and they can be touchy (aka stressed out). I would suggest not playing with them often, as this can set back the feeding and growth of your snake for a bit if they get too stressed.

Congratulations, you have successfully produced Ball Python babies.
    This was a great idea and after seeing this i asked on a local forum why we do not have the same

Would you mind if i copied and pasted this ?

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike10205 View Post
    This was a great idea and after seeing this i asked on a local forum why we do not have the same

Would you mind if i copied and pasted this ?
    As long as the credit is linked back to either this site or to me, I don't mind at all.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Great Post, Should add in unless i over looked it was. Assist feeding before force feeding on babies that are picky. Ive had great success on Assist feeding babies that wont take live on their own

Thanks

Does everyone rinse babies off? I didn't think it would be completely necessary because I imagine in the wild they don't get rinsed off. But I would love to know the benefits of rinsing off the babies as my clutch is going to hatch any time now (day 60). Thanks

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reno-cg View Post
    Does everyone rinse babies off? I didn't think it would be completely necessary because I imagine in the wild they don't get rinsed off. But I would love to know the benefits of rinsing off the babies as my clutch is going to hatch any time now (day 60). Thanks
    I rinse them cause they are gooey and sticky and covered in vermiculite, or dried up and looking like gross.

Other than that, yeah, they don't necessarily need to be rinsed.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (08-10-2011)

Thanks

Thanks Heather!

Another quick question: Should I keep the babies at the same temps as my other bp's? I keep hot spots at 90 degrees, and ambient temps at roughly 82 or so. This is what I am doing now because of the summer so it's easier this way. In the winter months I drop the temps.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    What do you do when you have waited two long months for baby snakes, and all of a sudden they are actually there???

Heads are poking out of shells, but you are not sure what to do after they come out!

Well, here's what I do.

1) Wait until they hatch out. This seems like an obvious thing, but honestly, don't freak out until they are actually out of the egg.

2) Rinse the babies off individually, as when they hatch out, they tend to be covered in goo. You don't need soap, just water.

3) Set up the tubs. I like to put each clutch in together until they all shed, for record taking purposes as well as a space saving technique. The tubs should be lined with paper towels lightly misted with water to make the humidity nice and comfortable for the new little ones. I put my babies in hatchling tubs, which equate to shoebox size.

4) Wait until they shed. This will take from 5-14 days, depending on the baby. Some shed faster than others, but if they DO NOT shed, this can indicate a problem with the baby itself. I tend to wait a few weeks, and if it hasn't shed, that's when the baby goes on "danger watch".

5) Feeding: After they shed, split them all up, sex them if you haven't already (some people sex babies out of the egg...I know I do), and put them in individual tubs. Give them a day or two to acclimate to being alone, and then attempt to give them food. Some people start with rat crawlers, some people start with mouse hoppers. I try the rats first, and if they do not take in a few feedings, I switch to mouse hoppers. Mouse hoppers are candy to babies, and they usually do the trick, but I prefer my babies on rats primarily, so I tend to avoid the use of them unless necessary. If that doesn't work even with the mouse hoppers, try giving the babies less space... Put some crumpled paper towels in the tub with the babies to give them the sensation of being able to hide. Leave them be for 3-5 days, and try again with a mouse hopper.

Force-feeding is something I do not enjoy doing, nor do I think should be a resource unless absolutely necessary. Final resort, so to speak. If the baby is not eating after a couple of months out of the egg, I would suggest considering force-feeding. This is a very stressful process for the snake, so take that with a grain of salt. Take the back of the head of the baby, open up the jaws slightly, and gently force the DEAD small food item (mouse pink, usually) into the jaws to the point where the baby cannot push it out. Put it back in the tub and wait to see if the baby attempts to swallow it or not. Be very careful, because as I said, this is traumatic for the snake, and can be unsuccessful.

6) Problems... With hatchlings, there are plenty of problems that can arise. Hard bellies, deformation, attached umbilicus. If you do see these problems, do a search on them to see what other people have done. These are all very specific and exhaustive topics, so I'm not going to go into them individually, but realize that yes, they can happen, and yes, you should be prepared.

7) ENJOY THEM! Hold them if you want, love them if you want, but know that this is the snake's infant period, and they can be touchy (aka stressed out). I would suggest not playing with them often, as this can set back the feeding and growth of your snake for a bit if they get too stressed.

Congratulations, you have successfully produced Ball Python babies.
    Hello.

Once the babies hatch, should I put them into a tub with a hot spot, or just leave them in the incubator until they shed? I've heard of some people putting the babies back into the incubator until they shed, but my incubator is set to 89.0 and I'm not sure if that's too hot or not.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Red face Re: Hatchling Care

This is exactly what I needed to read, thank you! We unexpectedly got a clutch of eggs (our first) from a pair of possible het. pieds a couple months back, and yesterday they started to pip, So i definately needed this! I had no idea what to expect (especially with possibly problems that arise in the babies, other than umbilical chord problems). We are VERY VERY happy to see two of the eggs have beautiful baby piebalds in them, so hopefully with this little but of knowledge I can do what it takes to make sure they're okay!

Thanks
    great care sheet! I remember the first baby coming out of teh egg and i was like ummm oh crap now what haha..

Thanks
    What is a hard belly?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast