Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Unhappy question about weights

hey, I have been just reading on here for a few days and I have seen a lot about weights of snakes and they all seem high compared to mmine. I have only had then for roughly 4 weeks now and the store only had the for 10 days (not sure about anything prior to that so age is up in the air). One is 50 grams and the other is only 42 grams. I know they are just babies but it seems so low. They are horrible eaters I have been getting them assist fed once a week because they were clearly getting smaller due to not eating and that was worrying me. And its only been once a week because due to the stress of being assist fed I try not to do it too often. I try and feed them 5 days after an assist feeding but when they do not take it I take them up to the store where a friend of mine works and she takes care of it for me.

Just concerned that they may be under weight.

Thanks
    Yeah I would say that your little ones are under weight. Most ball pythons are born weighing between 60-100 grams. You are doing the right thing by getting then assist fed. At that weight and going down they didn't have much time left. Where are you located in VA?
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks

Re: question about weights

Richmond.
    Thanks a million. I knew the numbers did not sound right! They both have been getting any where between two-three pinkies a feeding last time my darker one got two pinkies and a small fuzzie. The other had to be actually force fed because she wouldn't take them. I knew better than to get them from a pet store but a friend of mine got them for me as a gift since he knew I was dying for another snake.
    Should I be trying to get more in the during these assist feeding sessions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Are you feeding mice or rats? I'm assuming your feeding f/t because of the assisted feedings, but have your tried offering them live? Assisted feedings are stressful, but force feedings are even worse. Have you double checked that your setup is correct? I would probably also take them to the vet at some point if they don't start taking food on their own soon. It's possible they have some internal parasite or are sick. You don't want to have snakes you have to force/assist feed for the next 30 years. Some babies are small, but if they haven't been gaining weight I would definitely take them to the vet.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Re: question about weights

they are actually gaining weight with the assist feedings. They have each taken food once on their own. I'm going to try feeding them again today. I know one is about to shed so i doubt she will eat but the other i'm not too sure. I plan on taking them to the vet soon. They show no signs of mites or anything so i dont know. I have a friend who has had a bp for 5 years and she has never eaten on her own and she is huge! So I'm up in arms over what to do.