Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,527

4 members and 3,523 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, I've got a serious escapee. Advice?

My Chloe girl escaped. It appears the lid wasn't completely secure or she gained super strength. It's happened before but we were able to find here under the bed next to the tank. No such luck this time. We turned that whole animal room upside down looking for her. Even looked in adjacent rooms and in places that seemed impossible.

So I've read about a trick of putting flour at the baseboards and see if a trail shows up later.

If you've got other tricks let me know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    I read heat pad and a hide on the floor might help. Hope she turns up soon.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks
    I would look again, but slower, don't toss and turn everything.

I've found snakes in drawers wrapped up in clothes, in small boxes, etc..

I turned the lights off in the room for about an hour, walked back in, and found my snake because I heard the noise of him sucking his head back into his hiding space.

Think like a snake! Where would you be?
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Well, I've got a serious escapee. Advice?

Well, none of the flour was disturbed that I laid out last night. I had put flour line across the doorways of the rooms and entrances to the kitchen. So I think she must still be in whatever room she's been in.

I also tried putting a hide with a heat lamp over it since the AC is nearly always on now because of this heat wave (100 F at 700pm). No luck with that. I also left her tank open in case she decided to go back home.

So, it looks like this weekend will be dedicated to turning our apartment upside down to find her. I am really hoping the she couldn't have squeeze under the door to the water heater closet as there are open drains in there. I doubt it though since I can barely get my pinky finger to fit under the door.

This is so frustrating...
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 06-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Try this...

During the day, get a bunch of plastic grocery bags and lay them along the baseboards, behind and under furniture, and any other areas that look like possible snaky thoroughfares. Then, in the evening, set yourself up with a quiet activity such as reading a book or something. No music or TV or computer games...just quiet. Let your ears be alert, and listen for the tell-tale rustle of plastic bags.

Leave the bags in place as long as necessary...always staying alert for their sounds, even when you're not actively listening. She may surprise you sometime.

Good luck!!
    -- Judy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (06-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkHerps View Post
    Think like a snake! Where would you be?
    That is good advice.

Flour never worked for me because by the time I realized the snake was missing she was already in a hiding place she liked. I suggest sitting silently with no TV, no music, no lights in the middle of the night and listening. Mine at least are very clumsy and eventually you'll hear something get knocked over or some movement that's not supposed to be there and then just follow the noise. I know you're offering heat but have you checked things that would be giving off heat on their own? Before you even set up the heat lamp she may have found a nice warm place to hide. Good luck.

JLC types faster than me lol
    Last edited by babyknees; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    when mine got out i found her in my sisters room on top of her baseboard heater from experience i would just slowly relook places u already looked. goodluck and i hope u find her soon!

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    We have had two get out both our fault by not pushing the tub all the way in. But both times they didn't leave the snake room they just went behind the tub our cinny girl is in on the bottom shelf . All curled up on the flexwat. I don't really know any tricks other than just look everywhere !!!!!

Thanks

Put a bowl of water out, eventually she will get thirsty, put flour in a circle around the bowl of water. Only extra advice I could think of, plus if you think she is in a room try blocking the space under the doorway so she cant leave that area and get into more trouble.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Another night. Still missing.

We did a lot of cleaning. Cleaned out boxes and closets. Even dug around in the couch and found a lot of change and random crap.

We actually camped out in different rooms. Turned everything off we could. Only the AC and fridge ever made loud noise. I laid in the living room which is next to the animal room. My wife camped out in the animal room. No sign at all. I even heard the damn roaches crawling. Killed a couple too. Never heard a plastic bag crinkle while I was awake. Sometimes I would just get up and walk around with a flash light looking to no avail.

I am thinking about going to my parents house and borrowing my mom's terrier. Lots of poeple seem to have had success with dogs or even cats finding lost snakes.

Today is feed day so I may set up something with a live rat to serve as a trap.

I'll give it the weekend. If we don't find her then I'll just assume the worst, mourn and move on. If she comes out later that's great. But I am not going to let myself suffer for days on end about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast