Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,011

1 members and 3,010 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question Tarantula/Scorpion help?

Alright, so lately I've been thinking about getting either a Tarantula (Most likely the Chilean Rose, Mexican Red Knee, or the Chaco Golden Knee) or getting one of those gorgeous Emperor Scorpions. I have been researching the two of them for a bit, but I'm getting a lot of mixed answers.

For example: Many of the Tarantula care sheets say they need humidity, and some say they don't? The same goes for the scorpion.

I really want to know for sure what all they need and the way to properly care for them, I wouldn't want to hurt the spider/scorpion in any way just because of some nitwits misinformation. So with that being said, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of reliable, and correct care sheets for both? And on the opinion side, which would you say would be better for a beginner?

Thank you to anyone who can help me out!

Thanks

Re: Tarantula/Scorpion help?

Well you've chosen some good species to start out with! Chaco Golden Knees are one of my favourites, though I don't have one at the moment. They're beautiful in an understated kind of way. Of course, the red knee and the chilean rose are awesome too, and emperor scorpions!

As for your example with humidity, it depends on the species. For instance, an emperor scorpion or a Mexican Red Knee will need humidity around 50 - 60 ish % because they are from more tropical type areas (well, the emperor scorpion is actually from the tropical forest regions of Africa, so...) BUT a Chilean Rose tarantula will actually not do well with humidity that is too high. For them, regular house humidity is fine, because they live on the borders of the Atacama desert in Chile.

We have a generic tarantula care sheet on this site, actually, in the invertebrates forum, most of the same things apply for scorpions too. Regular house temperature is fine for all of them, you don't really need supplemental heating (unless you get into the more obscure species, that's a different story for some of them), and usually the humidity that's already in your home is fine for both (most houses are at 50% humidity naturally). Give them access to clean water all the time (not that blue gel stuff, it sucks), and feed them a couple appropriately sized insects a week (I like to go with 3 - 4 for my tarantulas).
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thank you! I thought they all looked amazing, and it was said they were pretty good for beginning pets, so I was like 'Score!'

But ohh, I see, that's good! My mother didn't want another animal that would be as 'demanding' (so she calls it) as my Ball Python. (I know he's not that demanding... she just likes to whine about having to get his supplies sometimes. ) So regular household temperature, and humidity with a slight spritz if it gets dry I'm assuming, pretty straightforward feeding, and clean water. Sounds great! And I'll have to go find that care sheet, but all in all it sounds like I may be getting a Tarantula or Scorpion here soon!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jujuju View Post
    Thank you! I thought they all looked amazing, and it was said they were pretty good for beginning pets, so I was like 'Score!'

But ohh, I see, that's good! My mother didn't want another animal that would be as 'demanding' (so she calls it) as my Ball Python. (I know he's not that demanding... she just likes to whine about having to get his supplies sometimes. ) So regular household temperature, and humidity with a slight spritz if it gets dry I'm assuming, pretty straightforward feeding, and clean water. Sounds great! And I'll have to go find that care sheet, but all in all it sounds like I may be getting a Tarantula or Scorpion here soon!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!
    Haha their low-maintenanceness is probably the only reason why my mother lets my two T's live Yup, if you're getting one of the more tropical ones the occasional spritz should do it, but try not to spritz the animal, they won't thank you for that I accidentally wet my X. Immanis while spraying the substrate and he almost ran right out of the enclosure! That was a close one, mind you they're very high strung, so I should've seen that one coming

Here's the link to our tarantula care sheet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...BEFORE-you-buy
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Ive got 2 Emperor Scorpions in a small tank with a black light i switch on at night so you can watch them glow. Awsome display animals. I dont worry about humidity much, i use a spray bottle every now and then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I would recommend a Chaco Golden Knee over a Rose Hair. I have both and my Chaco eats like a monster! My Rose Hairs are very fickle, don't eat consistantly, and are pretty boring. I'm hoping that changes a bit as they age but right now my Chaco is my fav T. Awesome eating, not shy about coming out, and usually moving around.

Regards,

B

Thanks

How about an A. avicularia or A. versicolor? They are also good beginner T's I think and can be quite striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    My Rose Hairs are very fickle, don't eat consistantly, and are pretty boring.
    I'll agree about the boring part (just my opinion), but our G. rosea is a beast when it comes to eating! Food barely gets a chance to hit the ground before he/she is on it. It will also try and cram several crickets in its mouth at once. Quite entertaining sometimes.

BTW, the beard suits ya a lot better.