Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,483

2 members and 3,481 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

So i was asked an interesting question....

My friend was over holding my python and he started asking me questions about venomous snakes. I just got done telling him how sometimes young snakes can be a bit snappy but how its cool that they grow out of it and often make better pets with age. He then asked if the same was true for venomous snakes? I told him i wasnt sure but that there was no way i would ever trust a "trained" hot snake anyway haha. He followed up by asking if it was possible to remove the fangs of hot snakes? I didnt know what to tell him about that other than you would have to remove the snakes venom sacks (if thats what there called?) or it would still produce venom and bite you with the other teeth, which would get into your blood stream and still kill you? Does anyone know a good answer to this? im curious myself and would like to know in case it comes up again.
    Happy Memorial Day

Thanks
    I would not go around free handling them but most of the hots I have kept have calmed down a little. When we got our first copperhead about 2 years ago she struck at everything. Especially when you walked past her cage. But after a while she has stopped. I can not even remember the last time she struck out other then feeding time. Our cobra has also calmed down alot she doesnt even really hood up anymore unless your in her enclosure. She does not like it when you have to refill her water bowl.

Thanks
    cant answer about a trained hot but people do de-fang hot and they can still produce venom but dont have a real way to inject you with it. anything can happen i guess. also there are venomoids that have their venom glands "removed" but not their teeth. but ive heard alot of storys about them on getting 100% of the gland and them still producing venom.

http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/faq/venomoidfaq.html#Is it possible to be envenomed by a snake that is 'venomoid'?
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks
    pulling the fangs out is not going to make it safe, fangs would be replaced pretty fast. they brake fangs now and than so there are always ones ready to replace the old ones. also pulling a snakes fangs out is cruel to begin with and also would mean you have to hold it by the head and that puts you in bite range.

some snakes will calm down and some wont, i would not trust a venomous snake to not bite either way.

Thanks
    Removing the fangs or venom glands of a venomous snake is extremely cruel and inhumane. They need venom to kill their prey. They don't have the instinct to constrict like pythons and boas and all other snakes do. Doing this makes the snake a "Venomoid" and it will die shortly.

The snake can possibly envonomate you if just the fangs are removed, and not the glands. Even though the majority of the fangs are gone, there are still tubes in which the venom flows. They have back rows of just regular teeth, and it is possible the venom can get into the wounds caused by the teeth. Depending on the amount of venom, the kind of venom, and the species of a snake it is, you could just get sick for a while, or even die.

If you remove both of the venom glands entirely, and the snake bites you, common sense says that you will not be envenomated.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Thanks
    Bellabob...THANK YOU! Most "devenomations are butcher jobs......also, the snakes have the venom for a reason......it not only kills the prey, but starts breaking down tissue which aids in digestion. You cannot alter the way a snake's body functions and then think there will be no negative results from that. I will not buy ANY reptile from someone who also sells venomoids. Just can't do it. I also refuse to stick around for a "presentation" at a reptile show using a venomoid. Leave animals the way they're supposed to be. If you don't have the guts/time/patience to learn to keep hots...........then DON'T.

Sorry, this is a really HUGE pet peeve of mine.
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy412 For This Useful Post:

LizardPants (05-31-2011),Skittles1101 (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    Let me also add.......Keeping hots should not be something one does to "impress" their friends, or to be "cool". These animals are dangerous, and so is that mindset.........I kept them and will keep them again just for the love of the animals......there's nothing more beautiful to me than a Mojave rattlesnake......and VERY few people even knew I kept hots......it's legal here, but it's not my style to go advertise it. It was FOR ME, not for anyone else.
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy412 For This Useful Post:

LizardPants (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: So i was asked an interesting question....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellabob View Post
    Doing this makes the snake a "Venomoid" and it will die shortly.
    I just want to correct this one statement. Removing a captive snake's venom glands doesn't mean it will die. Venomoids can thrive just fine in captivity. I've seen it myself and handled a venomoid cobra that seemed just as content with her captivity as any other well-cared for captive snake that I've known.

That being said, I am NOT advocating such a practice. The snake I handled had been taken in as a rescue (already a venomoid) and was not sought after for its "cool" factor or any other such nonsense. I think doing this sort of surgery on a snake just so it is safe to own is akin to wanting to own a tiger, but having all its teeth and claws removed, just so you can have a cool pet.

There are far far too many fabulously beautiful snakes that are safe to own without having to have their bodies surgically altered. If that's not good enough for someone who also can't be bothered to learn and apply true safe handling/keeping of hot snakes, then one shouldn't own snakes at all.
    Last edited by JLC; 05-31-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    -- Judy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (05-31-2011),Sammy412 (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have never owned a hot myself and the people I know whom deal with them a lot never never trust one completely, the penalty for a laps in judgement is very high.

I know that The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) has policy on the de fanging or venoming of snakes it states,

"Veterinarians are also discouraged from performing surgical procedures on these animals for the sole purpose of making the animal a safer companion."

At least in Canada it is taken quite seriously as infractions can result in loss of a creditation. They are allowed to practice still (for the moment) but will be stricken from the roster of approved vet clinics by CVMA and that can lead to loss of insurance coverage, that is terminal for a clinic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Sammy412 (05-31-2011)

Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks
    owning a hot is crazy,hots are crazy.you people are crazy.but i like you.
    denial are you Cherokee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast