Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

1 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun conures?

Thanks

Sun conures?

I've wanted one for years now and have recently come across the opportunity to get one for free. Still gotta get the okay from mom, but I've always had luck with that.

So, any tips on a) convincing mom (she's worried about the noise and mess, but I've heard conures are good for that, as far as parrots go) and b) caring for them? I mean I've done research, but some things can only be learned from experience.

Thanks
    Suns are a good conure as far as conure's go. The can be very nosy. Most conures are. They are beautiful when they achieve their adult plumage and are really playful. I'm not fond of conures but Suns are pretty neat. Is this bird free for a reason? Does it have problems? Is it aggressive? Some times its best to pass on a bird thats convenient to make sure you get something that will fit into the family and have a forever home.

A baby thats just weaned is a great way to have one grow with you. I know money is always an issue but if I could go out and buy anything I'd get a white bellied caique. They are amazing pets. All that being said I have a blue headed pionus and a blue and gold macaw (talk about noise!).

I'm Not really sure how you would convince you mom. Like I said- they are noisy. They are not really messy. They my throw a little seed but not bad at all. They aren't a large bird, so they don't take up much space. Their care is easy. They just need a healthy diet (meaning not just seed) and clean water. They are pretty hardy. Safe toys to keep them occupied and maybe a play top to keep boredom away. Some like the play tops- mine didn't.

I sugest that you tell her that it is something you are serious about and not a passing fancy. Be willing to educate yourself further on Suns and conures in general and be willing to cover the financial upkeep as well as day to day care.

Good luck to you! I hope it all works out
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    White-bellies are really nice. Black-caps are pretty neat too.

And I don't know exactly why it's free. I haven't actually seen the bird or the ad yet, but dad's friend (a big bird guy, he's got 4) told me about it. I figured I'd do my research before I go looking, and if I don't get this free one, I'll probably start saving up to buy/adopt one anyway.

I would just go out and buy one, but I'm a high school junior with no job and college approaching, so money is a bit of an issue (bird would be coming with me to college, so don't worry about that).

Thanks
    I had birds In college too. People are nicer about renting apartments to those with birds than snakes. I have no clue why. Snakes don't squawk and chew on everything. Mine don't even require live food. But they aren't welcome? Free is nice but I would find out more.

I was really luck to grow up in an aviary. I got exposed to all sorts of birds from an early age. All the birds I have ever had I hatched from the egg and hand fed. The best advice I can give you is to visit the birds of people you know to get a feel for the different personality types. Don't get one from any big chain pet stores. And be careful about scammers- there are a lot out there.
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    Yeah well, unfortunately, most people still think all snakes are venomous or 30 ft monsters. So they think that by letting a garter snake into the building, they're putting all the residents at risk. So it's understandable. Wrong, but understandable.

I found the ad and it just says the bird and cage are going for $1. They have a baby on the way and won't have time to care for the bird. It's a five-year-old female, doesn't talk (which I don't really care about) and loves to cuddle. I'm going to talk to mom about it tonight, and if all goes well, I'll go over to see the bird in person before I take her.

Thanks
    Kids are a number one need to re-home bird situation. Good luck. I hope it works out
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Re: Sun conures?

Never again will I get a sun conure. We had one for a little bit and they make the most awful eardrum bursting noise out of any bird. Me and my roommate could not take it so we had to give it away.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    My friend has two Sun Conures. They are beautiful and loud. I have a Quaker Parrot he is loud at times but he's my boy. I had a Green-cheek once he was a great little bird.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks

Re: Sun conures?

Quote Originally Posted by DellaF View Post
    My friend has two Sun Conures. They are beautiful and loud.
    I read once that they only get louder when you have multiples XD So that was probably a big part of it.

I personally don't mind the noise. It's just convincing mom to put up with it for a year before I take her off to college.

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Sorry about the bad pics but thought I'd share a pic of mine. We love ours we just didn't expect him to be so loud, he is hand tamed I guess that's the main reason we have alot of patience with him. Good luck they are great pets just expect some attitude and early mornings.

droid!!!!
    Last edited by Emilio; 05-30-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast