Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

1 members and 3,046 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks

convict cichlid help i know nothing about fish

i adopted this fishy from my friend.she was tired of caring for it and started to let it go.not changing water.keeping up with the parameters.this fish went a long time without a filter and an air pump.the water was filthy when i went to get it.she said the water evaporated fast and she poured water in there everyday so im assuming thats how the fish got its oxygen.the fish came with his home.a 10gl with white gravel,couple of fake plants,a castle and a couple of other silly looking ornaments.as soon as i got the tank and fish i went out got some new gravel,some river rocks,a real plant(starts with an a i forgot name),another fake sword plant,a log with entries and fake plants on it,some water conditioner for chlorine and chloramines,some test strips,a hang on ph testcard and an ammonia alert card and some new food.he was eating goldfish flakes.got him some floating and sinking cichlid food he just spits those out but loves the leftover goldfish flakes and beefheart i got him.oh also an aquatech 10 to 15gl filter and air pump.
    now for the problems.im guessing the tank is cycling cuz of the new filter,gravel and decor.my ph 7.8,alkalinity between 80 and 120,hardness 300,nitrate 40,now the problem two nitrite and ammonia.nitrite and ammonia keep rising ill do a partial water change about 15 to 30 percent on the weekend.sun,mon,tue are fine then midweek nitrite bam 3.0 overnight and ammonia is below noticeable,then bam ammonia 0.03.then keep rising if i dont add this kordon ammonia/nitrite/nitrate detoxifier plus. add 5ml of that stuff and the ammonia stabilizes but nitrites stay the same.go to work and bam ammonia again.
    how do i deal with this?i know this specific fish should be in a 30gl plus tank but i cant afford to buy a 30gl,new filter more gravel,more river rocks,more decor and not to mention nowhere sturdy enough to handle the 300lb plus tank so i would need a stand.helpppppppppppppppp

Thanks
    While I appreciate you rescuing this fish from certain death, the tank size is a big issue (assuming it's a full-grown convict). Your ammonia and nitrates are probably off because a fish of that size is producing waste faster than the filter can handle. Imagine being confined to a 2x2 box and going to the bathroom in it. It would fill up a lot faster than a 10x10 box would.

Technically, the fish doesn't need gravel or decor, as long as it has enough hiding spots to feel safe. And as long as you don't have any cats or dogs that would go poking their heads in, you could keep the tank on the floor. So if you went in this direction, you would only have to buy the tank and filter (both of which can be found pretty cheap on ebay or at local garage sales). Obviously these conditions aren't optimal to look at, but the fish really wouldn't know the difference and it would be much happier than in a cramped 10 gal.

I wouldn't call myself a fish expert, but upping the tank size should help a lot. My dad really knows his fish so I'll ask him tomorrow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpartaDog For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    i know the tank isnt big enough and i figured the bioload was too much for this filter.i joined a fish forum and they told me everything i had to do to help this guy survive til he gets a new home. i can afford a new tank and filter this weekend because thats a great idea about just setting it on the floor with just the stuff he has now.im sure the extra room would and easier manageable water conditions will make him that much happier til i could get the rest of the stuff.decor and stand and such.

my dogs listen while im around so they wont be a problem until i left soo i would have to put it in my room under my ball python enclosure table.would the constant vibration from the air pump and filter stress her?

oh and if your interested on what the fish forum said,i have to do constant 30% to 80% water changes and avoid ammonia nitrite detoxifiers unless necessary.my tap water is good for water changes minus the chlorine,chloramine and temperature.ph,alk,hardness.etc.because although high the parameters are what the convicts thrive in.i know by constant water changes it could hurt the cycling process but that doesnt really matter since he'll get a new bare yes not very pleasing to look yes at but piece by piece i can make it a masterpiece.
    and your dads input would greatly be appreciated.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Unless you have a filter with 2 separate cartridges or a canister filter with one basket strictly for bio rocks, then the gravel is necessary in the tank.

Once it finishes cycling, the good bacteria load which keeps ammonia levels down, will be in the gravel bed.

The trick is to keep the water correct now until it cycles and builds up a good collection of bacteria in the gravel bed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    Do you have a small privately owned pet store near you that sells fish? If so, go in and ask for a large handful of tank gravel out of one of the tanks. In a bag with enough water to keep it damp and alive. Put this gravel in some cheese cloth or fine mesh bag and set it in the aquarium. This will greatly help to establish a new healthy bacteria colony. Thus shortening the dangerous cycle time. Then after a few weeks, shake the bag in the water and then remove it.

Voila. No ugly gravel that you don't want but a head start in keeping the tank healthy.

If you get a larger tank and filter, get a filter with 2 cartridges. Only change one at a time. Put at least a couple weeks to a month between changing alternate filter cartridges. This ensures you never completely remove too much good bacteria. Then just do partial water changes as needed.

Thanks

Re: convict cichlid help i know nothing about fish

i found a good deal at petco for an aqueon 29gl kit for $120.filter,hood light combo,water heater etc.sound like a good deal? or should i buy piece by piece? i know snake starter kits suck but what about fish aquarium kits?are their pumps crap like snake kit thermometers?
    yeah i know about using another tanks established bacteria thanks for the suggestion though. my friend that works there said i could have some used gravel and a used filter cartridge to help jumpstart the cycling and colonies of bacteria.

hmm i should probably take some of these questions to the fish forum huh??
    thanks reptile people.

Thanks
    I'd base wether or not it's a deal on the quality of the filter. Filtration is everything when it comes to aquariums. Its a fact that filters are rated way too high also. If it says it's rated for a 20-30 gal tank, then it's good enough for a 10gal. And so on. For a 29 gal, I'd strongly recommend a filter rated to 50/55 gal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (06-01-2011)

Thanks
    word?????so i shoooouuuuld buy seperately.id agree with you on that cause this 10-15gl filter doesnt suck up crap unless its right next to the filter.

Thanks
    would an aquarium under my snakes enclosure stress her with the vibrations?

Thanks
    I doubt it if you get a quiet filter. The Aquaclear brand is very quiet and gets great reviews. I had a small one for a hospital tank a few years ago and loved it. I use canisters now but that's the one id recommend for a hang on the back filter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast