Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

6 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

two sudden deaths

I had to leave my pets with family to study abroad in Japan, and I just recieved an email today that two of my ball pythons have dropped dead. The third is grumpy and tries to strike through the tub. The only cause I can think of is heat, so I've asked them to move the survivor and check the temperature history. Despite having a herpstat, the room could have heated up, being on the top floor of an old house. But they have central air, and I wouldn't think anywhere in the house with insulation and vents would get over 90 degrees. But I guess I just have to wait to see what the herpstat says. I suppose my wiring on the flexwatt could have been as horrible as it looked... Oh, and I've already asked them to move the survivor off of it.

So what else might have caused this? They weren't eating for winter, but they were by no means the kind of balls that couldn't survive six months without food. Disease is of course possible, but the last introduction into my little collection was six months ago, and that's the survivor. And I doubt my grandmother would have left them with no water for the amount of time it would take for them to die of dehydration.

Ideas and conversation is nice.
    Last edited by stevepoppers; 05-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: two sudden deaths

Very sorry to hear of your loss!

Without actually being there, all any of us can do is just guess. And even when we're there, sometimes all we have is guesses. I find myself wondering if any chemicals were used somewhere near the enclosures? Some kind of pest control, or harsh cleanser or...? I dunno.
    -- Judy

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

cboocks (05-25-2011),PitOnTheProwl (05-25-2011),Redneck_Crow (05-26-2011),Skittles1101 (05-24-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    Sorry for your loss.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DellaF For This Useful Post:

cboocks (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Sorry for your loss.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Slinky)

RIP-2004 0.1 Samoyed/Collie (Tippy) 15.5 Years Old.
    RIP-2017 0.1 Labrador Retriever (Bitsy) 13.5 Years Old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Popeye For This Useful Post:

cboocks (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Very unfortunate, my sympathies.

I hope you are safe over in Japan as well, I don't hear much about the recovery anymore....
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nachash For This Useful Post:

cboocks (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I find myself wondering if any chemicals were used somewhere near the enclosures? Some kind of pest control, or harsh cleanser or...? I dunno.
    Probably not, but it's worth asking about. Thanks.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks
    I'm sorry for your loss. I've been in a similar situation, and have learned in a very hard way NOT to leave pets (especially reptiles and exotics) in the care of family.
    They may have the best intentions, but ultimately they should not be the ones to care for them unless they have specific experience with the same species of their own, and know what to do if and when something goes wrong.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LizardPants For This Useful Post:

cboocks (05-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thank you all for your sympathies. It's been a really hard day for both of us. We're both in Japan, and I've already contacted my mother, who has been taking extraordinary care of our geckos to take the snakes. She's not used to snakes, but she wasn't used to geckos either and she has them both eating and growing rapidly. I feel that with the very DETAILED care sheet Stevepoppers left his family, she'll do fine with them.

I really just don't understand how this happened so very suddenly. I can only think that they were neglected for an extended period of time, or were sick. But again, how would one taking care of an animal who has instructions of what symptoms to look for, not notice? Sorry for the rambling. Just, needed it and so very few people understand how snakes can be such an amazing part of your life.

1.0 300g Cinnamon Ball Python {Moose}
    0.0.1 Black Racer Hatchling {Moe}
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko {Bis & Treble}
    1.0 Crazy yet Awesome Boyfriend (Stevepoppers)

RIP Cash and Honey. I'll never forget you.

Thanks
    It's likely that you'll never truly know what happened unless you have them sent to a vet for necropsy.

Japan is an awesome country. Make the most of it while you're there.

Thanks

Unfortunately, a necropsy isn't an option. Both animals have been buried. (I already asked to see pictures so I could try to determine what happened, if possible, scale rot, burns, etc). They were apparently also dead for some time before discovered. How much time, we don't know. I just know that it kills me to think that whatever happened may have been preventable and that they could have been in pain and that they lied there for days, with no one noticing they were gone. I just want my babies back. All I asked for when I left was that my animals still be fine when I returned. *sigh*

On a slightly more positive note, my parents are taking in our remaining two snakes this weekend, and quarantining them (away from the geckos, just in case). They will also be taking pictures and skyping so I can look for any symptoms of illness or burns. Even if we never find out what happened to Honey or Cash, I know that Moose and Moe are going to be taken care of to the best of my parent's abilities and that brings me some comfort.

1.0 300g Cinnamon Ball Python {Moose}
    0.0.1 Black Racer Hatchling {Moe}
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko {Bis & Treble}
    1.0 Crazy yet Awesome Boyfriend (Stevepoppers)

RIP Cash and Honey. I'll never forget you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast