Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 268

1 members and 267 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,844
Threads: 239,403
Posts: 2,487,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Sleetygrub87
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts

    Another post about starting a business, not just breeding

    This post will probably veer off in several differnt directions, but any and all responses are appreciated. I have taken a pretty big step, looks like I am going to have (as of now) at least 8 breeding size females at the start of breeding season. At what point should I consider actually registering as a business with the state instead of just flying under the radar and doing cash sales. I ask this because there is a large cost of owning these animals beyond the initial cost (racks, electricity, rats, rat feed, ...). As a business, these costs are deductible, and I am considering building and selling rat racks and tubs also next year when I have snakes to sell at local shows. I know I need to talk to a CPA about it and they will probably have the best answers, but never having a business I was looking for some advice here as to how you have approached this topic?
    8.28 ball pythons

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran Rorschach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thanked 82 Times in 70 Posts
    Depending on what state you are from there are a different set of rules. Here's how it works in New Hampshire, where I am from

    A person conducting business under any name other than his/her own legal name must register. For example, John D. Smith doing business as "John D. Smith" does not have to register; however, if he conducts business as "John Smith Enterprises" he does have to register as "Enterprises" is not part of his legal name.

    You do not have the authority to conduct any business (including advertising) under any name other than your own personal legal name until that name is registered with this office. The Secretary of State’s office is not an enforcement agency. However, not registering can have consequences with other agencies or institutions.

    You would want to check with your states secretary of state office. Usually you can find the answers on their website.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1