Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

3 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Waterfalls

Thanks

Waterfalls

I just wanted to give my two cents on them, since I've seen heated debate on whether or not waterfalls should be in a tank or not, and I'm sure some people would like to hear someone's experience.

I got an Exo-Terra large waterfall for my 40 gal. tank, and wow, it's kept the humidity level exactly between 50-60%. No more misting 3 times a day! And I was worried about people who said that BP's can get in waterfalls and hurt/kill/etc. themselves, but there isn't anything in this one besides an encased pump that would be impossible for any snake to get hurt by, let alone get to because they would have to go for a dive to even get to it, which I've NEVER seen my girl (or other's) do. It's a light trickle too, so she's not afraid to go drink out of the basin. In fact, she spent the better half of the day that I put it in climbing all over it and investigating. (I had to eventually stuff paper towels in the space behind it because Loki apparently thought that it was her new hide LOL).

Waterfalls aren't for everyone, and I'm sure not all waterfalls are safe to put in a tank, but for someone with a little extra cash and trouble keeping the humidity up, I'd suggest taking a look at that brand and seeing if they'd work for you. (plus, it makes a nice, calming white noise when I go to sleep at night. xD )
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    Oooh, sounds so nice! If I ever have a large tank setup, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Thanks
    My experience with water falls in reptile tanks is it's more of a pita than anything. It sprays water around it, creating a Damp area that never dries out. Which in a cage with heat creates a bacterial or fungal nightmare. It required more attn from me than anything. And also It was a huge pita to keep clean. Algea was always growing in mine as well as it was getting pooped on and in. It's definitely not for me. But then again I need to look at things as healthy for the environ and efficient as possible. Perhaps if I only had a cage or two I wouldn't have minded it. But I do enjoy the look of waterfall features.

Registered User Keyboard Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    I thought about getting one, but it seems like more of a headache, that I don't need. The only thing that would convince me to get it is the white noise. I love the sound of flowing water. So I just bought a cheap waterfall for my room.

Thanks

Re: Waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    Oooh, sounds so nice! If I ever have a large tank setup, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    I think it adds an ambiance to a tank. Makes it seem more "natural". Plus the come in medium and small sizes, so I'm sure you could even get one for a small(er) tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    My experience with water falls in reptile tanks is it's more of a pita than anything. It sprays water around it, creating a Damp area that never dries out. Which in a cage with heat creates a bacterial or fungal nightmare. It required more attn from me than anything. And also It was a huge pita to keep clean. Algea was always growing in mine as well as it was getting pooped on and in. It's definitely not for me. But then again I need to look at things as healthy for the environ and efficient as possible. Perhaps if I only had a cage or two I wouldn't have minded it. But I do enjoy the look of waterfall features.
    I had a small problem with a leak, but a little superglue fixed it right up. As for algae, haven't seen anything building up, I must be lucky. I've never had any problem with spray, perhaps your waterfall was a bit too strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Warrior View Post
    I thought about getting one, but it seems like more of a headache, that I don't need. The only thing that would convince me to get it is the white noise. I love the sound of flowing water. So I just bought a cheap waterfall for my room.
    I only have one BP, so I spoil her a lot more than I would if I had multiples. When I start breeding, all my new ones are going into a rack set-up. She's just the queen bee and of course the one I definitely wouldn't be selling, so my boyfriend and I lavish her quite a bit.
    Last edited by xFenrir; 05-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    I do not have any experience of waterfalls with reptiles but i want to feel it , i think it will be very cool and crazy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    My brother had a nice waterfall inside his ball python enclosure, the snake flipped the waterfall over, something he never planned for
    They are stronger than one might give them credit for.
    Jerry Robertson

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    I loved the waterfall we had in our Veild's enclosure but cleaning it was a NIGHTMARE. I like how they changed the design on them to cover up the opening in the back though.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks

Re: Waterfalls

The waterfalls are a really underrated product, in my opinion. Depends on your level of dedication; a good friend of mine actually uses them for her bearded dragons to provide them with running water.

Using these, or a fogger, are both neat, natural looking ways to increase humidity. If you have the time and desire for the waterfall, why not? The only problem I notice with them is that for larger snakes, it would not be a large enough water source in the pool. You can adjust that by just putting the top into a larger water bowl, though.

I love setting up snakes in more naturalistic display cages. Ball pythons may thrive and survive in a simplistic rack set up, but if someone wants to be a dedicated, over the top keeper...Why not!

kudos to you Fenrir, love the idea of the waterfall in the ball python cage!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.