Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 667

0 members and 667 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Question...

Thanks

Question...

So, Axel on empty is resting right at 200 grams, and eating well. I feed on a 5 day schedule, and will until he's two/reaches 500 grams, whichever comes first. Right now I'm feeding an adult mouse every five days. Would feeding two be too much at his size/age? I know he'd eat them if I offered.

I know many would suggest an an appropriately sized rat instead...but I can't do that yet. Rats happen to be very close to my heart (lol..) And I'm getting psyched up, because I understand it'll be unavoidable someday soon, but just am not there yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Rat pups, I know you said you'd rather not but he can't live on mice forever. I love rodents as much as the next person, but you got a snake. Rats are more nutritious for them, and he'll grow quicker on rats.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It is true that rats are nutritionally better than mice but there are lots of just mice eaters out there. The difference are slight. The issue many run into is cost a bunch of extra large adult mice cost more than a large rat.

Typically I'd say feed about 10% of the snakes weigh a meal just change the times as they age. Your timing seems fine, unless you are in a hurry to breed a snake there isn't a rush you can feed every 5 or 7 days I usually let the snake tell me when it is time to drop back the timing. They often will start to 'hunt' in the nights and if they are doing that in 2 or 3 days keep up the 5 day cycle if it is every 5 days or so a 7 day cycle and if it is every 9 or 10 days a 14 day cycle.

Thanks
    little update: Well, I sucked it up and got over it. He's now eating weanling's (pups were waaay too small) like a champ! And...last week...he took a small. They were out of weanling's, and it was just a tiny bit larger than his girth. I was a little scared it was too big and he'd barf it up, but i gave him 3-4 days to digest before handling, and he, sure enough, digested it! lol. (btw, I won't make a habit of it. I'm just kind of at the mercy of my dad for buying snake food) Him and Marcelene are now on nice weekly schedules, he gets a weanling, she gets a small, every Tuesday.

Yay!
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Thanks
    good job switching over! its the right choice. i believe its better to feed one rat to a snake than a bunch of lil tiny mice.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: Question...

congrats on getting him switched over! I'm now feeding my ball rats that I really "thought" were too large for her, but she was on a hunger strike for 6 months before I offered her a month - two month old rat (I raise them myself because nearest pet store is 80 miles from me) and she took it FAST. She's now eaten 2 rats appx this size and I think I'm "out of the woods" with her. If she insists on being a little pig, I'm not going to argue with her. Would rather give her what she seems to want than what everyone at the pet stores has told me she needs that is too small. Now I gotta figure out a way to trade out a bag of 50 frozen pinky rats for some frozen juvenile rats about 5" long head to base of tail.