Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

0 members and 2,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Rainbow Boas and Mite Spray Dangers

I'm so sorry, I remember when you mentioned picking her up on a thread of mine. I hope you'll be able to get another soon, and that some more info will come up about how common it is for this to cause problems.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    According to Bryan it's just Rainbow boas? But he only works with rainbows and carpet pythons for the most part. But the other guy I spoke to(whose name i can't remember) said that indigo snakes have the problem as well. So I don't know.
    Never had an issue with indigos and mite spray. There are known issues with indigos and other species with ivermectin, but not with PAM or any of the natural sprays.

I guess the question I have is how do you know it was the mite treatment? How do you know you got he mites from someone else? And I second the comment from a previous poster - why the hell didn't the breeder warn you about this sensitivity when you told him the snake had mites?
    Last edited by Skiploder; 05-20-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Honestly I don't, but that's what I was told very seriously by Hummel. I haven't doubted him as I know he's very serious about his animals and I don't think would just make something up. The indigo thing was just something some other guy said at a local expo, so I don't really think too much about that, I don't even remember his name, it just stood out to me that he also said rainbow boas had this issue.

Temps in the cage were perfect(75-85 at basking spot), we measure with a digital probe/humidity reader before anyone asks, humidity was kept at a constant 70. Kept on paper towels because of the mite issues. Also had a small hide that fit her perfect. She ate and pooped and seemed healthy and alert. We had her for a week basically..

I had no answers as to what caused her sudden death, as she went from active and alert to dead the next morning. The only cause I was given was that I had killed her with the mite treatments, because according to Hummel it has caused problems in his snakes before. My boyfriend had buried her before he told me she passed away, so I wasn't able to get her body tested at the vet for anything. That's why I'm really moreso asking for anyone with experience with rainbow boas and mites for any info on this.. I trust hummel, but I feel like with people breeding rainbow boas there should be more information on this... Unless just most of the BRB breeders just haven't had to deal with mite infestations!

Thanks

Honestly I don't, but that's what I was told very seriously by Hummel. I haven't doubted him as I know he's very serious about his animals and I don't think would just make something up. The indigo thing was just something some other guy said at a local expo, so I don't really think too much about that, I don't even remember his name, it just stood out to me that he also said rainbow boas had this issue.

Temps in the cage were perfect(75-85 at basking spot), we measure with a digital probe/humidity reader before anyone asks, humidity was kept at a constant 70. Kept on paper towels because of the mite issues. Also had a small hide that fit her perfect. She ate and pooped and seemed healthy and alert. We had her for a week basically..

I had no answers as to what caused her sudden death, as she went from active and alert to dead the next morning. The only cause I was given was that I had killed her with the mite treatments, because according to Hummel it has caused problems in his snakes before. My boyfriend had buried her before he told me she passed away, so I wasn't able to get her body tested at the vet for anything. That's why I'm really moreso asking for anyone with experience with rainbow boas and mites for any info on this.. I trust hummel, but I feel like with people breeding rainbow boas there should be more information on this... Unless just most of the BRB breeders just haven't had to deal with mite infestations!
    After reading your thread I shot an e-mail to an acquaintance who is a doctor and breeder and who has been into rainbows, along with indigos, and several other species of snakes for many, many years.

Never heard of this issue either. Repeated the warning on ivermectin, but claims to have used PAM (and other treatments when needed) without any incidences. Just the usual warning about permethrin and humidity, nothing else and no knowledge of species specific sensitivities with epicrates.

See, when an animal is poisoned by chemicals, they usually present with neurological symptoms. The fact that your snake was able to eat, poop and act normal is a bit odd...........

I have no idea who your breeder is and am not passing judgment on him in any way but heck, if I was vending "sensitive" snakes at a show where there was a chance the snakes I was selling were going to be exposed to mites, I would be sure to send people home with info warning them on how to treat said mites.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 05-20-2011 at 09:27 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

blushingball419 (05-20-2011)

Thanks
    I agree with Skiploder......you'd have most likely seen some neurological symptoms....I don't think death would have been that fast. A snake that young could have had any kind of unknown genetic cause of death. I've used PAM and Sawyers for mites on boas of all types for years and never had an issue.
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    After reading your post we got ahold of a friend who breeds BRB. He says he's never heard of this and that he uses PAM on his with know problem. But every breeder has their own way and own thoughts on how to care for their breed of animal. So while it may not be true about the PAM killing BRB maybe that's how he feels. Maybe he dosnt like using chemicals on his snakes and prefers the other route .

Thanks

What kind of amounts were you using? I use PAM when I need to and it has caused no issue with my Brazilian rainbow.

My mites also came from a show. I was skeptical of the people who said they got mites from bedding, but wouldn't you know it, after buying aspen chips from a breeder I got mites.
    Mike

Thanks

Sorry for your loss =(

Didn't know rainbows and mite spray was a bad combination either. I've used P.A.M in my rainbows tank and never had a problem with them. Same goes for my red tails and dumerils boa.
    0.1 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python - Hazard
    1.0 Diamond x Coastal Carpet Python - Strife
    0.1Ball Python - Curse
    0.1 Blk & Wht Banded Cali King Snake - Beetlejuice
    1.0 Yellow Anaconda - Goliath
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Pandora
    1.1 Anery Red tail Boa - Static & Shiva
    1.1 Dumerils Boa - Venomous & Poisonous
    1.0 Burmese 50% Dwarf - Behemoth
    3.3 Jungle Carpet Python - Dread, Cyrax, Azazel & Omega, Demona, No name yet
    1.1 Bredli Carpet Python - No names yet
    1.0 Argentine Boa - Smoke
    1.1 Mud Snake - No names yet
    0.0.1 Blk & Wht Columbian Tegu - Takedown
    0.0.2 Green Tree Python - Cyanide & Mayhem
    1.0 Coastal Jaguar Carpet Python - Saren
    0.0.1 African Rock Python - Atlas
    0.0.0 Alligator Snapping Turtle - Gamera
    14 other Turtles
    1.0 Doberman - Anubis

Thanks
    Well, now I don't know what to think. I was told specifically that "mite spray will kill rainbow boas at very minute doses"

We were using extremely small amounts, as I said earlier, my boyfriend was nervous about using any chemicals at all in the cage..

I have no idea what else could have caused it. I was just told I killed her. The cage set up was right, and I know she came from a breeder of healthy animals as I know a few people who have bought from him before. So I'm lost.

Thanks

Well, now I don't know what to think. I was told specifically that "mite spray will kill rainbow boas at very minute doses"

We were using extremely small amounts, as I said earlier, my boyfriend was nervous about using any chemicals at all in the cage..

I have no idea what else could have caused it. I was just told I killed her. The cage set up was right, and I know she came from a breeder of healthy animals as I know a few people who have bought from him before. So I'm lost.
    Why don't you ask the breeder why he didn't warn you about the sensitivity when you told him the snake had mites?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast