Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,550

2 members and 3,548 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Transporting my Ball Pythons??

So this weekend I will be moving about 9 hours away. How would you all recommend I transport my snakes? I was thinking that I would put them all in snake bags and then put them all in one big tub with a folded sheet below them for padding. Would this be better than just sealing them all up in their own tubs and just stacking them securely in the back seat? I figure the bag method is basically how they are shipped so thats why I was thinking that. Thanks for the advice!
    Paul

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    You dont want them on the floor of the car, as it can overheat them or cool them off, depending on your temps.

Best bet is to snake bag them and put them in insulated box and keep box on seat. Storage container will do fine too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (05-18-2011),PweEzy (05-18-2011)

Thanks

Re: Transporting my Ball Pythons??

Good call thanks. I probably woulda put em on the seat out of habbit but that is absolutely a good point and will make sure to keep em off the floorboard
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The seat for sure! If the outside air temps are cold seal the ventilation holes up cool air can cause rapid chilling of the body core and lead to RI. There is loads enough air in a tub for 30 or 45 min wait to open the top up until the car is warm, if it is still cold out, (it is 46º outside as I right this that is why I am mentioning it.)

Thanks

Re: Transporting my Ball Pythons??

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    The seat for sure! If the outside air temps are cold seal the ventilation holes up cool air can cause rapid chilling of the body core and lead to RI. There is loads enough air in a tub for 30 or 45 min wait to open the top up until the car is warm, if it is still cold out, (it is 46º outside as I right this that is why I am mentioning it.)
    Thanks for the advice, but down here in Houston we don't tend to have the problem of it being too cold....EVER, haha. Although it may be a bit cooler up in Lubbock so I will keep this advice in mind!
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Oh rub it in! I am usually in shorts by now, I still am wearing my winter jacket!

Thanks
    Houston won't get too cold, but it might get too hot. In which case, insulation will still be important.

Buy a few styrofoam coolers, they can be found nearly anywhere. Add one or two ventilation holes in each cooler. Snake bag them, and put a few in each cooler depending how big they are, add crumpled newspaper or paper towels for padding. Run a probed thermometer to each cooler. Place the coolers on your back seat, run the thermometer somewhere that you can easily see it.

Thanks
    just do like the others have said, snake bags, foam box to keep heat in and cold out and the box up on the seat, you will be fine. i would put a thermometer with a probe in it so you can check temps while your driving and know whats going on inside.
    i drove 3 snakes from el paso to MA back in september and it went fine. 9 hours wont be too bad. just get them into their tubs with stable temps as soon as you get to ur destination and let them chill out for a few days. good luck
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Moved from CO to SC with my snakes. I took a old igloo cooler and put a few air holes in it. I took four or five water bottles and filled them up with 88 degree water. I covered the water bottles with shredded paper. The snakes were placed in the cooler in snake bags. The cooler will keep the water temps up for a while. Refill water bottles as needed. I was traveling with three kids and pulling two cars so it took four days. Everyone arrived fine.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown