Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

1 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Keyboard Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Do any of you guys train MMA?

I live in New Mexico, where Jacksons camp is, so we got a pretty good MMA following here. I don't personally train there because its overhyped. Me personally, I train BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo. But my biggest strength is BJJ.

Do any of you train in MMA or any martial art?

Thanks
    I train at csw in orange county ca w josh barnett and eric paulsen strength is wrestiln bjj but im startin mauy thai

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    Jon Bones Jones trains at Greg Jacksons camp And formerly Rashad Evens - lol

I used to train MMA for quite awhile but my wife didn't like it so I have since stopped. I still lift and box at home (I have a ton of stuff for boxing, even ground and pound training dummies)but boxing at home is no where near the same as having sparring partners or trainers to hold the mits for you and give you pointers etc. Better then nothing though

I wrestled in high school and had a couple different trainers for boxing for quite some time after I was out of high school and I dabbled in various martial arts over the years but never got serious with any one of the martial arts as a stand alone (Gracie Jiu Jitsu (that's all they taught there, one of my fav's but I wanted more then just ground work), Judo, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Goju Ryu, Tang So Doo).

MMA was/is my favorite next would be Jiu Jitsu and boxing but I learn both of them with MMA so I got the best of both worlds while training there
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: Do any of you guys train MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    I used to train MMA for quite awhile but my wife didn't like it so I have since stopped.
    Why doesn't she like it?

My husband and 2 kids train. They go to this Erik Paulson and Danny Inosanto affiliated school. They rotate the lessons on CSW with and without gi, empty-hand Kali, brazilian jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and muay thai. The adult class gets to train on weapons - kali short sticks, long sticks, knife, and nanchucks.

My kids (7 and 9 years old) have been in it for 2 years and I tell ya - it really helps them with their confidence and self-control. So, maybe if you tell your wife this, she won't mind it so much?

My husband has been wanting to get the kids to compete at Naga. This is where I'm not so sure about. I like them training but I'm not comfortable with them competing. Okay, so it's the mother in me not wanting the kids to get hurt if I can avoid it. The competition doesn't really provide many benefits they can't find at school.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Why doesn't she like it?

My husband and 2 kids train. They go to this Erik Paulson and Danny Inosanto affiliated school. They rotate the lessons on CSW with and without gi, empty-hand Kali, brazilian jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and muay thai. The adult class gets to train on weapons - kali short sticks, long sticks, knife, and nanchucks.

My kids (7 and 9 years old) have been in it for 2 years and I tell ya - it really helps them with their confidence and self-control. So, maybe if you tell your wife this, she won't mind it so much?

My husband has been wanting to get the kids to compete at Naga. This is where I'm not so sure about. I like them training but I'm not comfortable with them competing. Okay, so it's the mother in me not wanting the kids to get hurt if I can avoid it. The competition doesn't really provide many benefits they can't find at school.
    She basically does not want to see me get hurt or hurt anyone else and I try to stay open minded and respect her wishes about it. To understand her more, me and her are COMPLETE opposites in just about everything. We hit the nail on the head with opposites attract - lol. But some how we mesh super well with each other and balance each other out. If you have never seen me before I have a pretty current profile pic where you can see me. TON of tattoo's (my avatar is my head), bigger guy, been to jail and I could go on and on. Now if you met her - lol, she usually dresses very professional, only 1 tattoo on her foot that she got when she met me, don't think she ever drank at a bar type bar, SUPER nice person, very smart, went to college and got awesome grades and I could go on and on -lol. The biggest response she gets when people see us together is "We thought you were a goodie, goodie until we seen your husband", and she really is, I am her dark side for her - lol. The main thing is even though we are very much opposites but we really do balance each other out very well and are very happy together
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    She basically does not want to see me get hurt or hurt anyone else and I try to stay open minded and respect her wishes about it. To understand her more, me and her are COMPLETE opposites in just about everything. We hit the nail on the head with opposites attract - lol. But some how we mesh super well with each other and balance each other out. If you have never seen me before I have a pretty current profile pic where you can see me. TON of tattoo's (my avatar is my head), bigger guy, been to jail and I could go on and on. Now if you met her - lol, she usually dresses very professional, only 1 tattoo on her foot that she got when she met me, don't think she ever drank at a bar type bar, SUPER nice person, very smart, went to college and got awesome grades and I could go on and on -lol. The biggest response she gets when people see us together is "We thought you were a goodie, goodie until we seen your husband", and she really is, I am her dark side for her - lol. The main thing is even though we are very much opposites but we really do balance each other out very well and are very happy together
    LOLOL!!! I was laughing the entire time I was reading your post... coz, WE'RE THE SAME! If you look at the word "opposite" from the dictionary, it will have me and my husband's picture on it!

So, I'm five-foot-nothing, he's six-foot-two. I'm the poster child of the geek club, he's a runway model - literally. I'm all classical and opera music he's AC/DC and Metallica. A lot of times I cook 2 dinners because what he eats I don't eat and vice versa. I struggle with weight problem (yo-yo - I can't seem to keep my weight at healthy levels consistently), he's the washboard stomach without having to spend more than 4 hours at the gym a week. And the list goes on and on... And yeah, I understand what you mean about balancing out very well - I always tell people, if my husband and I can find middle ground on everything, anybody can!

So yeah, that MMA thing - it's his thing... just like the gun range and NFL and all those things I really don't care much for. I'm okay with him doing all those stuff because he would sit down to watch Dancing With the Stars and all that stuff he can barely stand without puking... LOL!

The kids are a different matter. They're growing up really wierd - they love Les Miserables and Guns and Roses with equal passion. And they don't like most of what we eat - they're mac and cheese and chicken strips kind of kids - things that neither me nor my husband eats! And yeah, they really enjoy MMA and NFL but then they go ballroom dancing with me too. Go figure.
    Last edited by anatess; 05-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (05-18-2011)

Thanks
    Oh, if I was younger...

I was a wrestler in high school (back in the 80's) and would LOVE to have what I had back then and try my hand at MMA. I follow it on the tube and on the 'net, and as Joe Rogan always says- Wrestlers already have a leg up.

I dabbled in Karate and boxing, but never had much of a strong punch. I have a pretty light frame so never was much in the power department. That's why I loved wrestling (and track - I was a sprinter).

At 42 and chasing 43 quickly, I have resigned my "tough guy" image and allow the younger generation to have it

BTW - HUGE Matt Hughes fan! Also love to watch Rich Franklin. Both class acts.
    Last edited by knox; 05-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks
    I trained for years in the 90's and early 2000's, BJJ and MMA.

Lots of fun, and I still drop in on classes a few times a year. I have a few go to techniques that I can pull out on unsuspecting regulars and get a finish, but there are plenty of 160 pound spider monkeys that can still tap me within a few minutes...

I know nothing of the rubber guard, and can be frustrated by the new schoolers that start from their butts instead of their knees. I would have to train regularly for a solid 6 months just to catch up on the technical progression that I have missed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    I trained for years in the 90's and early 2000's, BJJ and MMA.

Lots of fun, and I still drop in on classes a few times a year. I have a few go to techniques that I can pull out on unsuspecting regulars and get a finish, but there are plenty of 160 pound spider monkeys that can still tap me within a few minutes...

I know nothing of the rubber guard, and can be frustrated by the new schoolers that start from their butts instead of their knees. I would have to train regularly for a solid 6 months just to catch up on the technical progression that I have missed.
    I didn't know you dabbled in MMA You learn something new and interesting every day
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    Oh, if I was younger...

I was a wrestler in high school (back in the 80's) and would LOVE to have what I had back then and try my hand at MMA. I follow it on the tube and on the 'net, and as Joe Rogan always says- Wrestlers already have a leg up.

I dabbled in Karate and boxing, but never had much of a strong punch. I have a pretty light frame so never was much in the power department. That's why I loved wrestling (and track - I was a sprinter).

At 42 and chasing 43 quickly, I have resigned my "tough guy" image and allow the younger generation to have it

BTW - HUGE Matt Hughes fan! Also love to watch Rich Franklin. Both class acts.
    42/43 is not old! Randy Couture is 47 (I think) and he still kicks butt!
    Last edited by anatess; 05-18-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast