Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

2 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: 5-16-11

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

5-16-11

Not a lot going on the last couple of weeks. We're in the waiting zone now until the 13th of next month when I go in for the stem cell transplant. I'll be getting my own back which is the "traditional" treatment for now.

How does something get to be traditional in what, 10 maybe 15 years? Maybe it's just a language thing since the coordinator is not a native speaker of English. Perhaps he meant usual, or preferred.

My brother is a high resolution match which means that if I reject my own stem cells we can try to use his. This is good, but only in a not so good way. It's good that I have the best genetic match possible, but if I need it things are bad.

Which is also good and bad. It's good because the chances of rejection with my brother's stem cells are are only 10% or so. Bad because with a stranger's it goes to 33%. I'm rooting for my guys.

Otherwise, the last couple of weeks have been pretty good. No more chemo until June, only one more PET scan and that's not for a couple of weeks, my body has begun to recover from the ravages of chemical treatment, which from the outside, you'd never know were happening. Except for the hairlessness. Even my eyebrows are almost gone now. Although I am getting what is literally peach fuzz on my dome and face. A bit thicker this time than before but doomed to removal since I've still got one more round of hard core chemo coming.

And for my skin. Got some weird stuff going on there. I still bruise very easily and my skin is not nearly as resilient as it used to be. I have always been fond to walking around barefoot. Miles at a time, pavement or concrete, sand grass whatever, no problem. There was a point in the long ago that I could walk on glass. I'm not prone to blisters.

Oddly though, on a short walk, maybe 1/2 mile on pavement, I managed to get some good sized blisters on both the balls of my feet and each heel. Just a month before I made the same walk, going close to 1 1/2 miles with no problem at all. I can only attribute this to the chemo. Come to think on it though, I am not going barefoot as much as I used to, not as active in general as much as I used to be. That could be a contributor to the ease with which I blistered. But I still think it's mostly from the chemo.

Haven't had any stomach acid either, which is also a bonus. That stuff really sucks. Oddly, the joints in my ankles and knees seem to be more loosely attached than previously. My gait seems, feels, different. I have had both ankles turn when walking, over obstacles that previously were no problem to navigate. Rocks, cracks in pavement, humps in the ground, all have made themselves known to me in the last few months more than ever before. No problems as yet, but definitely noticeably different.

All things considered, I guess I'm in pretty good shape.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: 5-16-11

I remember the "hurry up and wait" phases of my husband's treatments. Those times often felt more stressful to me than the times of action. But then again, it wasn't MY body having to endure the "action", no matter how badly I wanted to trade places with him. Hopefully, for you, this can be a time of rest...a chance to catch your breath and regain some strength.

Put some shoes on...maybe some sturdy hiking boots that support your ankles as well....and let yourself get some sun and fresh air, even if its just for short walks. In time, I'm quite sure you'll be a barefoot wanderer once again, and maybe only slightly less carefree for having gone through this.

You know my prayers are always with you, even if you don't believe in them.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    If patience is a virtue then I am one hell of a virtuous guy. I have waited on so many clutches and pregnant females, time limits and lifespans, that none of the waiting to find out has been any stress at all. I wonder sometimes if my lack of stress should be stressing me out. Waiting is no problem at all. Wondering at the outcome, that's ..... something I ..... think about. Not over much I think, but I have given it consideration.

The blister thing really took me by surprise. I knew I bruised easier and it seems that I have less resilience in my skin in general. I get cut and abraded easier too. It's a good thing I prefer frills to levis. So much to learn.

That whole prayer thing; just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean it doesn't work. You feel free to do as you see fit. I've known for a long time that I don't know a whole lot, that others know stuff I don't. In a way my wishing good things to people resembles your prayers though you have a much smaller target you're aiming at, mine being the universe in general and all, yours being one guy.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Re: 5-16-11

Our whole church is praying for you.