Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,258

1 members and 1,257 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Something wrong with my BP's scales *PIC*

Hi everyone,

I noticed this slight discoloring on the edge of one of my BP's scales. I noticed it about 4 days ago, and I put some neosporin (without pain relief!) on it and back into the enclosure. He ate fine for me wednesday. Husbandry is 75 ambient, 80 cool side, 90 hot side, humidity is usually around 50%. Substrate is reptibark.

Is this the beginning of scale rot? Did he just get some dirt under there? What does this look like? Any advise would be great, this is my first BP and I haven't seen this before!

Thanks!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python Irwin
    0.0.1 Harlequin/Partial Pinstripe Crested Gecko Twix
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks
    Yuck! Looks almost like he has mites irritating that bit of scale, but I've never had mites on my snakes so I don't know.
    Keep him super clean, on paper towels if possible, and dry, but still humid--NOT wet though.
    Last edited by shelliebear; 05-14-2011 at 03:37 AM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks

Re: Something wrong with my BP's scales *PIC*

Mites?! Oh no!! Im going to completely clean out his tank today and switch over to paper towels. Anything else I can do to help this?!
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I would look for other signs of mites before going that far - look in his heat pits and around his eyes as well as wiping him down with a damp paper towel.

Look for dark spots on the papertowel that spread a rust coloured spot around them if you leave it for five minutes.

As for the scale I would just keep an eye on it for now to see if it changes and see if it goes away with his next shed.

What kind of substrate are you using?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (05-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I would look for other signs of mites before going that far - look in his heat pits and around his eyes as well as wiping him down with a damp paper towel.

Look for dark spots on the papertowel that spread a rust coloured spot around them if you leave it for five minutes.

As for the scale I would just keep an eye on it for now to see if it changes and see if it goes away with his next shed.

What kind of substrate are you using?

dr del
    I'm using reptibark. I had switched to paper towels months ago and switched back for two reasons...humidity problems and also its my only BP so I have it in a tank and kind of wanted it to look more natural. But, I've been considering changing back to paper towels because it's easy, cheap, safer for feeding and more sanitary.
    I noticed his belly is ever so slightly pink today, maybe he's going in to shed. I was reading up on mites and it said that it can cause your BP to be more active and also shed prematurely? He just shed maybe two months ago tops, and I have noticed him more active at night.
    Once I get home from work later I'll try wiping him down and seeing if there's anything there. I did look close at him around his eyes and vents and didn't see anything.
    Just a note, I noticed his scale like this shortly after I found a urate in his hide, could it just be that he got some dirt under there?
    I'm just paranoid about this mite thing because I have a crestie in the same room and don't want it to spread!
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brstin2flames View Post
    I'm using reptibark. I had switched to paper towels months ago and switched back for two reasons...humidity problems and also its my only BP so I have it in a tank and kind of wanted it to look more natural. But, I've been considering changing back to paper towels because it's easy, cheap, safer for feeding and more sanitary.
    I noticed his belly is ever so slightly pink today, maybe he's going in to shed. I was reading up on mites and it said that it can cause your BP to be more active and also shed prematurely? He just shed maybe two months ago tops, and I have noticed him more active at night.
    Once I get home from work later I'll try wiping him down and seeing if there's anything there. I did look close at him around his eyes and vents and didn't see anything.
    Just a note, I noticed his scale like this shortly after I found a urate in his hide, could it just be that he got some dirt under there?
    I'm just paranoid about this mite thing because I have a crestie in the same room and don't want it to spread!
    I have a young (2010) bp that consistently sheds once a month, so two months without shedding I wouldn't consider premature. Mine is also a very good eater, so he's growing a little faster than my others. I'd definitely look for more signs of mites before freaking out, and wait and see how it looks after his next shed.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still going to do a cleaning today an switch to paper towels but ill let him go and see what happens. He has been eating really good, so it's quite possible hes not shedding prematurely, your right LGray23. Thank you again!
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks
    Paper towels will make it easier to see if he has mites, and help keep him clean.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)