Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,563

1 members and 2,562 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Seeking: Bullsnake Ownership Experience Opinions

Hi!

I've just started the early phases of considering owning a Bullsnake. I already own a northern pine snake, and I really do like his attitude and general disposition. From what I understand, a Bullsnake is pretty similar, outside of size.

I'm looking for opinions on what the ownership experience is like from someone who has one, especially if they previously had a relative such as a pine snake.

Thank you!

Banned
    Thanks

pines/bulls

I have both right now. A 7 foot northern pine, a 6.5 foot male snow bull, and a 6 foot normal bull female. Generally, in my experience, they are extremely similar. Some animals are very clam and will always be, some are always a bit defensive, and do the whole hissing nonsense.

My pine is extremely cage defensive, and will not hesitate to bite, my bulls are both extremely calm snakes, no issues with them.

-Mike

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMReptiles For This Useful Post:

fire-eyes (05-13-2011),SoFarAway (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Talking Re: Seeking: Bullsnake Ownership Experience Opinions

I've had my bull about a year...grown a lot. Shannon is generally calm and will come out to see me. During these times, it's no problem handling him/her. When Shannon's not in the mood to be handles, it's made very clear.
    This is the hardiest, easiest snake in the world to take care of and is pretty smart. Shannon got out of his/her locked cage...there was a metal bracket that was used in the locking of the cage...I guess Shannon pushed and pushed till the metal bent and was able to get out...I was impressed.
    Shannon eats and craps very regularly...best snake I own for that.
    I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about my Bull Snake...amazing personality...though, I may have lucked out. In all the times I've handled my Bull Snake or had my hands in the enclosure, I've yet to be bit...even when Shanon was tiny.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regular handling makes them very laid back, they have a great feeding response, they will hiss every now and than (Some all the time when you first open their enclosure) but it's mainly all hiss and no bite, they love to bluff
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you are good with a norhern pine then you will do just fine with a bull. Some might be quite show-off-ers and loud hissers, but generally with enough handling they are very friendly. A lot of the really defensive ones tend to just bluff strike as well. You might get the odd one that is a handful but generally they are great.
    Always be Batman

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

SoFarAway (05-29-2011)

Thanks

Re: Seeking: Bullsnake Ownership Experience Opinions

I've owned a few bulls..awesome snakes. If I had more room I would still have them. I found the mine had all the attitude without the bite, they put on a nice show but were not aggressive and easy to handle. One of them was so "outgoing/friendly" once picked up that he went to someone that is currently using him in a hands on reptile education program.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Seeking: Bullsnake Ownership Experience Opinions

I believe that -- Out of my three snakes (BP, Boa, Northern Pine) which I have occasionally taken into work for planned shows, the Northern Pine is held by far the most. When I ask why, the answers range anywhere from size, intimidation factor, or just a friendly attitude. Yes, several people find my NP more friendly than my BP.
    Last edited by fire-eyes; 05-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Talking Bull Snake Keepers.

I say get a pair or 2. Get them as hatchlings and watch them grow. Learn how they are at all sizes. The young ones are allways more spunky and full of attitude. Almost all will calm down very quickly. I had one female that was so fiesty that she would stand nearly straight up when approached and hiss like satan. She is now calm as a sunset except when in shed.